Tachometer Only Displays 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer Only Displays 0

1989 115 ETLF, tach display works fine. Trim and oil display works but the tach always displays 0. I wanted to try and find out if the issue is somewhere in the wiring as apposed to a failed tachometer? Help troubleshooting, wire colors to chase, expected voltage, equipment needed to check it, etc. I have a basic volt meter but not much more.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chase the green wire coming from the stator to the tach

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
      Chase the green wire coming from the stator to the tach
      Thanks, do you know what voltage I should be seeing?

Comment

It is not a particular voltage that you are necessarily looking for. The tachometer looks more for a frequency. Check the green wire for any voltage at all with the motor running. I suspect there won't be any at the tachometer side connector for the green wire. Start there and work your way back to the motor. At any connection point their is a risk of a faulty connection.

See diagram below to help guide you.

Comment

You might try moving the setting switches back and forth a few times to wipe/clean the connections inside the tach.
          some times they can get bad connection

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            You might try moving the setting switches back and forth a few times to wipe/clean the connections inside the tach.
            some times they can get bad connection
            No switches on the back of this Tach, only a dial but I will try moving it and then setting it back at 12.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back after I've chased the green wire and the grounds.

Comment

It was a bad ground, everything is working normally. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X