Not Yamaha related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Yamaha related

I'm asking this question since I have Yamaha's, but not Yamaha related. I have to replace the scoop pick-ups that provide water to wash down and bait tanks on my boat. The scoop is a Perko with slots for water and a closed round end on the other. I believe it is a model 66-2. Perko says mount with slots forward. This was a factory setup from Boston Whaler but the slots are facing the rear. I am getting reasons for both set-ups. Any thoughts?

With the scoops forward, it'll definitely be picking up and circulating water while under way. It'll still allow a water pump to work while stopped too..

IMO, I'd install them in as directed by Perko.

You can always pull them and rotate if need be.

I'd get a hold of Boston Whaler and ask them just for S&G's. Possibly it was assembled on a late Friday

If it looks like these, I'd be putting them in as directed(couldn't find that exact model):

http://www.boatpartsaccessorieselect...-strainer.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-07-2016, 07:46 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have one of that style, feeding both livewell and washdown, and it faces forward.

The livewell pump is a centrifugal type, so at cruise there is a considerable flow right through it via "ram effect" on the scoop.

Its enough flow to "beat up" the baitfish - I have to remember to close the valve inside the livewell while moving fast.

So, I can imagine mounting the scoop backwards might be desirable.

Now of course, if I was using a pickup like that for inboard engine cooling, I would definitely want it facing forward....

Comment

Working...
      X