Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: 2006 130hp SW series over oiling

Hi there

Recently our 130hp 2-stroke has been blowing plenty of smoke; and coughing and spluttering, mostly on initial start up and occasionally even as we have been running around skiing for a while. I have attached an image of the oil tank which shows the oil is above the maximum line and on previous inspections it has been as much as completely full.

My question is could this overfilling of the tank be a sensor issue or something else? And would this be the cause of the engine over oiling or would that be a separate issue all together?
    Attached Files

could be a switch issue, could be a control module issue.
    could be the wiring between the switch and the module.

Comment

That oil tank looks like it is at max full and not overfull.

I'd check the linkage to the oil pump, particularly the ball connector.

But if you are saying the tank has been full to the top lid previously, then I'd also pull out the sensor under that black plug and give it all a good clean. But keep in mind, by removing this you will probably compromise its resealing and maybe create a leaking issue.
      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 04-06-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Test the system.

Drain all of the oil from the main engine mounted tank. Remove the plastic sump at the bottom of the tank to drain the tank. Clean, reattach and secure the sump.

Make sure the boat mounted tank is full of oil.

Turn the key to the on position. The horn should sound. If a Yamaha tachometer is installed you should get a low oil warning. The oil pump should begin to transfer oil from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank is about half full the alarm should stop. The oil pump should run until either the main tank is full of 180 seconds time has gone by. If 180 seconds goes by and the main tank is not filled then check the filter at the oil pump.

Finally, do what zeno suggests and check the linkage between the oil pump and the throttle.

You might have two separate issues, if there really is an issue.

Comment

Working...
        X