Size of Wire For 50 HP Battery Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of Wire For 50 HP Battery Cable

Hello, hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have a 50 hp tiller control Yamaha 2 stroke on an 18/56 Weldbilt Duck Boat. While fishing the other evening the battery cable got between the motor and the transom mount and cut the battery cable and when I started the engine the battery cable started smoking and the battery shorted out causing a small fire. However, the battery cable above the cut is fine, the motor starts and runs, trim works and every thing is good. I need to know what size of wire to get to lengthen the battery cable. I only have 8 inches coming out of the tiller handle. I can join the wire and put end connectors on new wire. I don't want to spend $110-$140 for a new battery cable when all I need to do is join and add about 3 feet to reach the battery. I am already having to buy a new starting battery.

I know the motor works and trim works because I had to connect another battery to the motor via jumper cables to trim the motor up and to start the motor to check it for problems.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

I would think you could measure a piece (the diameter) of what you have and go from there...It may be printed on the cable itself...

I personally would replace the whole cable. Not necessarily Yamaha OEM but at a battery specific shop(like "Interstate"), they custom made cables with ends, etc and wasn't expensive.

*I'd go with OEM, purchased here (above in RED under "Purchase Yamaha Parts"). Their a bit cheaper in price (it'll be the last cable you replace if routed correctly) and you don't have to worry about a failure in the middle of no-where...

Good luck, you were very lucky..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yep, just measure the existing cable and find the closest next up size if you can't get an exact match. A butt connector crimped, then soldered, covered with heat shrink, should do the job.

Comment

Got it fixed...

Guy at the local electric supply match the wire, put ends on, and joined together also put shrink wrap on... Total cost less than $20.00

Comment

Working...
        X