Cylinder 2 not firing at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder 2 not firing at idle

Hey guys hoping for some help. I have sx225txrz and cylinder 2 is not firing at idle (700 RPM )after warm up . I know this motor has CCS and cylinders 2 and 5 cut out below 2000 RPM but everything I have read says it should be firing below 850 RPM and above 2000 RPM . Also once the motor warms up I start to get a rainbow out of the prop . They both come back online above 2000rpm and it sounds good again but once it idles down you can really hear the miss . I've had this boat for two years and changed low pressure pumps with new this year and replaced all the filters . fuel pressure 35 psi all the time , oh yeah the CDI went bad two weeks after I boat the boat($$$$$$$). Any ideas would help, definitely want it ready for summer .

go hunt a diffwent wabbit.
    the ign system is doing what its supposed to do.
    read a better manual.
    the idle speed should be about 730 RPM.
    if it falls below about 600 RPM all 6 cyl spark and inject.
    from about 650 to about 850 2 is shut off.
    from about 850 to about 1800 2 and 5 shut off.
    that's simply about how the system works.

Comment

It is a 2001 ox66 225 . I tried spaying combustion chamber cleaner down the throats two days ago no change , I'll try the ring free next .

Comment

Thanks guys I'll pick up a different manual , Rodbolt what manual do you recommend I have a seloc.

Comment

the information your requesting is NOT available in most any manual.
          it is avalabile in some of the classroom training stuff or by doing this cwap for a living for about 25 yrs and being bit a few times.

but your ign system is working as designed.

between about 650 and 850 it drops a cyl, between about 850 and 1800 it drops two cylinders.

if anything sets a code it idles on all 6 .

any codes stop CCS.
          some may advance idle speed timing to 7*BTDC and cause an increased idle.
          all but one code will do this.
          can the idle speed be monkeyed with by untrained skinners?
          yep.
          but they cannot readjust the timing.

Comment

Why do people keep insisting on spraying carb cleaner, or decarb with any fault mentioned? As correctly advised, the motor is doing exactly as it was designed, but hey, let's spray "something" just in case......

Comment

Now that I know the CCS is functioning properly what would cause the rainbow in the water .I pulled all three low pressure pumps and pumped the primer bulb and no leaks .also it seems to have a lot of carbon on the prop .

Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia 230wa View Post
                Now that I know the CCS is functioning properly what would cause the rainbow in the water .I pulled all three low pressure pumps and pumped the primer bulb and no leaks .also it seems to have a lot of carbon on the prop .

Thanks for the help so far.
                Oil. Gasoline. Both of which an OX66 dumps out its exhaust into the water. As a normal part of doing what an OX66 two stroke model does.

But it could possibly be oil from your power trim and tilt system as well. Now that would not be normal.

Comment

Thanks again guys , just want to be sure she's right before I go charging offshore this summer.

Comment

what can cause that fuel rainbow?
                    bad lift pumps.
                    a fuel leak.
                    an injector stuck or leaking.
                    excessive fuel pressure on the rail.
                    t-stat stuck open.

you may also want to check the oil control clip at the oil pump arm,but that also causes lots of smoke if it breaks.

Comment

I might have found my problem. The yellow tamper proof on the screws for TPS was as if it had moved , so I hooked up a meter to the test harness and adjusted it per the manual. Gonna change the thermostats due to age . Rainbow definitely coming from the prop cause I see it in the puddles when running on ears . Did a pressure and vacuum test on all lift pumps with no drop .

Comment

Working...
                      X