Wiring Harness Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Harness Question

I have an OX66 SX200TXRY Without the multifunction gauge. (Just the audible alarm)

The wiring harness from the ignition switch to the motor is damaged about 2 foot back from the motor. The harness I have has about 6 extra feet or more that's unused. Only 3 of the individual wires were damaged.

Should I replace this harness or is there a procedure for repairing it or cutting just the damaged last 2 feet off and installing a new plug on the engine side???

Whats recommended.

Thanks
    Attached Files

If me?

Definitely I would repair the wiring harness cutting and splice using heat shink tube on each wire repaired and on all cable (fixed zone) after all wires repaired

73 CT1GPQ
    Last edited by almetelo; 03-21-2016, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
      If me?

Definitely I would repair the wiring harness cutting and splice using heat shink tube on each wire repaired and on all cable (fixed zone) after all wires repaired

73 CT1GPQ
      Thanks that is what I did but not sure how its going to hold up to the Saltwater environment over time.
      Thanks

Comment

non insulated crimp sleeves and solder covered with marine heat shrink with the glue inside will be a strong connection and keep water out

Comment

Wiring Harness

I called the local Yamaha dealer this afternoon. A new harness was only a 100.00 and they had several in stock, so I opted to replace it. When I pulled the old one out completely I found 2 more places the harness was sliced thru the outer insulation the same as the other.... Have no idea how it was done unless it was done when the boat was originally rigged out. Took about 20 minutes to replace the harness. I feel better about having a new one installed and for the price it's not worth the headaches.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X