F70 engine movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70 engine movement

Is it normal for the outboard to move slightly when put in and out of gear?
    For example, if I'm sitting still and I engage reverse and add some revs the engine lifts slightly, I mean it's only just noticeable so it's maybe only lifting half an inch at the most. When I engage forward gear and add revs the engine drops very slightly.

there are motor mounts that can go bad and there are bushings also.
    need to look at what is moving when this happens

Comment

yep its normal.
      go play with your toy and worry a bit less .

Comment

It's called outboard motor paranoia.....I was worrying one day while launching the boat about some whirring/clicking noise that I noticed coming from my C90 2 stroke....my wife said stop being paranoid and put the #%^* boat in the river....she was right!...as always!

Comment

Gone fishin.....

Comment

the motor is mounted on some very good rubber mounts however they flex just like the ones in your car or truck.

don't know that I ever saw a mount failure on a Yamaha.
            a few bracket failures after 20+ yrs of corrosion.

open the hood on your auto,place it in drive while holding the brake firmly.
            throttle up a bit with the other foot.
            watch the motor torque over in its mounts.

Comment

I had a motor instructor in school that popped the throttle on his 56 ford PU with a large V*8 he stuck in it going up the ramp into the shop. Broke a motor mount which allowed motor to move greatly, pulling the mechanical linkage throttle wide open.
              He was a big guy, and had all he could do on the brakes but to no avail.
              Front tire where locked up sliding with back tires smoking away running through the shop.
              Hit a lift with a car on it.
              totaled his truck and knocked the car off the lift completely and it landed on all 4 wheels on stall next to it. That guy was always having bad luck.

Anything can fail, have a look yourself if you are worried

Comment

Working...
              X