2000 SX250TXRY gear lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 SX250TXRY gear lube

Is all GL-4 gear lube the same or do are some of better quality?

In a word, yes, there are varying qualities of gear lube. Some are regular 'ol dino oil, some are synthetic. Some manufacturer's might put different additives in them that help. Generally, though, any GL-4 rated oil should be OK for your gearcase. There's many opinions on this, though. Personally, since this is something that is done only once a year and I'm not an oil expert... I just stick with a major brand and one that I've known over the years (with hundreds and hundreds of lower units running on it... I work part time in the industry) to be be good. I use Merc's Hi-Perf (synthetic) stuff. But to be honest, I really don't know of any failures that can be 100% attributable to a lesser brand, such as Sierra (for example) oil. Some gearcases REQUIRE certain oils, but other than that it's pretty much an opinion thing.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I bought the Yamalube HD stuff. After getting it, I read (in very small print) on label for V8 outboards. Is this suitable for my 2000 SX250TXRY? No GL4 or 5 rating on the label.

Comment

DO NOT USE HD in that case.
        use a standard GL-4 gear lube ONLY.

Comment

Working...
        X