VX200 OX66 - Knocking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VX200 OX66 - Knocking sound

This motor is killing me...today I was about to blast off. I felt something grab and heard a hard, clicking sound. I stopped, tilted up and saw a thick piece of rope wrapped around my prop.

I removed the rope, cranked up, then heard a knocking sound. Removed the prop to see if some of the rope was sucked in.

After that, I cranked up again, the knocking sound still there. It is not coming from the lower unit. It is coming from the crankcase...does this sound like a blown cylinder? How could a piece of rope cause this?
    Last edited by kmswiber; 03-05-2016, 11:27 PM.

could have broken a shaft maybe.
    Power head with plenty of power but a locked up lower unit, just may waist a shaft.

Drop lower unit and inspect all that you can

Comment

The lower unit seems find. I removed the prop, nothing looks out of place...the sound is coming from up top, around the crank case.

Comment

Did you not understand what i WROTE ABOUT DROPPING THE LOWER UNIT TO INSPECT SHAFT?

Sorry for the caps, finger slipped and hit cap lock

Comment

Yes. Remove the lower unit and then run the motor. If the knock persists then you know it is in the power plant.

Maybe the flywheel key has sheared. Or maybe the crank shaft has broken.

Comment

A broken crankshaft will be more than a "knock"

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              Did you not understand what i WROTE ABOUT DROPPING THE LOWER UNIT TO INSPECT SHAFT?

Sorry for the caps, finger slipped and hit cap lock

Thanks, I understand what you mean now. Thought you meant the prop shaft.

Comment

I'm going to bring it to a mechanic, but I'm going to peep around this afternoon.

I reread my comments, I wanted to point out that I still have propulsion, just very limited. Does this rule out the crank shaft?

I'm still new when it comes to motors and terms, please be patient with me.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                  A broken crankshaft will be more than a "knock"
                  Depends. Some motors don't make a peep with a broken crank shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by kmswiber View Post
                    I'm going to bring it to a mechanic, but I'm going to peep around this afternoon.

I reread my comments, I wanted to point out that I still have propulsion, just very limited. Does this rule out the crank shaft?

I'm still new when it comes to motors and terms, please be patient with me.
                    Is the knocking only when in gear?

Comment

No sir, starts when the motors starts. Hard to tell, but it sounds it is coming right under the fly wheel...I checked the fly wheel, no damage.

Comment

Ouch !!

Pull lower unit and inspect..then pull plugs and rotate flywheel in a "rocking" motion...As in back and fourth, 360 degrees a few times... you will find if it is the pwr head or not... And a sheard keyway would make the motor out of time and most times wont run...

Comment

Appreciate all the comments suggestions...Dropping off to a mechanic this AM. Will keep everyone posted on the issue/possible solution. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Too late now, but you can often simply rotate the flywheel back and forth (in different positions) and feel / look for any play.

Looking down each cylinder at each piston (mid stroke), then moving the flywheel can reveal a "loose" rod bearing (or crankshaft issue). The crank can move BUT the piston doesn't-NOT GOOD and you have it narrowed down...
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Got the results today...6th cylinder is busted. Will cost around $2,000 to get it reworked. I was hoping it was the lower unit, only part of the motor that's under warranty.

I'll probably just get it fixed...new motors are crazy expensive. Hopefully my insurance will rule in my favor.

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X