Shift issues after doing water pump F20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift issues after doing water pump F20

Hi everyone... Decided to tackle the water pump for the 1st time on my used 2008 F20. That was easy and now Im glad I didnt take it to dealer. Took about 1 hour total time. Put it back together and hook up shift linkage. As I spin prop (motor off) It sounded like it was making some gear noise that it didnt do in neutral before I took it apart. Fire it up and put it in forward and it engages but stays in forward when I shift to neutral. So I adjust shift linkage many times and kept having same problem. I finally got it correct I think by disconnecting linkage, engaging reverse with a wrench on lower shift rod then reconnecting the upper rod while it was still in reverse. Now the prop spins free and quiet in neutral and engages forward and reverse smoothly both running and not running. I guess my question is.....is there a specific gear you should be in when disconnecting shift rods. I almost gave up and was about to take it to dealer for something so simple. The youtube waterpump videos didnt really tell you the right way to disconnect. Oh and the water pump works great! Thanks!

Dave

You tube vids SUCK !!

Do you want the mechanic that works on the 747 your taking to N.Y. city tonight watching youtube vids for jet repair ??? I have watched a few on boat repair and almost threw up !!

Comment

I find it best to shift the motor into reverse gear before disconnecting the shift rods. Some Yams you can't even get access to the jam nut or coupling nut without the lower unit being in reverse.

Just break the jam nut loose. Then unscrew the coupling nut until the two rods are disconnected.

Leave the shift control in reverse and don't mess with the shift mechanism on the lower unit while the lower unit is removed. Reinstall the lower unit and it should all go back together correctly.

Comment

Also count the number of visible threads below nut on shift rod or take photo or mark with TipEx prior to undoing.......

Comment

why count threads????

there is NO adjustment.

its a simple lock nut disconnect.

again NO adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
            Do you want the mechanic that works on the 747 your taking to N.Y. city tonight watching youtube vids for jet repair ??? I have watched a few on boat repair and almost threw up !!
            Keith, for a new boat owner the Internet is a plethora of knowledge, I my self had to explore how to replace a part on my daughters 2008 Chevy cobalt, the key here is he asked questions, looking for good answers, be nice , he was just asking for a answer (I know a cobalt is a car ) not a boat , but I was at a loss till I searched the web
            Last edited by erniefish; 03-08-2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X