Kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch

What is the purpose of having twin motors but the kill switch will only shut one down?

It appears that you are talking about a twin switch panel with just one kill switch. The wiring is such that if and when the kill switch is activated both motors will be killed.

If the switch is only killing one of two motors then something is wrong with the switch panel.

Comment

That is correct. It was wired that way from the time I got the motors. How can I correct it so the kill switch kills both engines? Thanks again

Comment

Go behind the panel to the back of the kill switch. Should be two white wires and two black wires. Make sure all of the connections are in place and clean and tight.

Check for continuity from each black wire to each white wire when the kill switch lanyard is pulled.

Check for the presence of a ground on the black wires.

2006 and Later Rigging Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL SWITCH PANEL TWIN Diagram and Parts

Comment

Just an update, checked both key assemblies. Both kill switch wires are clean and tight. Both let the port motor crank with kill switch open. Both will not let starboard motor crank. Coincidence?

Comment

The kill switch does not prevent a motor from cranking. It prevents a motor from starting or stops it from running.

Comment

Clarification, port motor cranks and runs, starboard motor cranks but does not run.

Comment

did you verify you have the 4 wire switch?

when the motor that cranked and did not run you should have gotten an alarm.

if you have the 4 wire switch did you verify the grounds and the switch continuity?

Comment

Yes, both assemblies have 4 wire kill switch. One alarms when the starboard motor is cranking over, the other does not. The one that alarms on cranking
                  does not give the beeping when the key is turned on. The other one does but no alarm on cranking. I am still going through the ground wires.

Comment

you should have 1 4 wire kill switch.

you should have two alarm horns.

each should sound at key on.

Comment

After some testing I think I found a common link with two different dual key assemblies. Port motor cranks and runs, starboard motor cranks but does not run with disconnect engaged. A couple of years ago I asked why my port motor continues to run for a few seconds after the key is turned off. Same motor that will crank and run with kill switch engaged. Rodbolt told me that it is the white wire on the motor that shuts the motor down when key is turned off. Same wire that shuts the motor down when emergency kill switch is engaged. Conclusion is a bad connection somewhere in the white wire in the wiring harness or where it grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by oldcobia View Post
                        After some testing I think I found a common link with two different dual key assemblies. Port motor cranks and runs, starboard motor cranks but does not run with disconnect engaged. A couple of years ago I asked why my port motor continues to run for a few seconds after the key is turned off. Same motor that will crank and run with kill switch engaged. Rodbolt told me that it is the white wire on the motor that shuts the motor down when key is turned off. Same wire that shuts the motor down when emergency kill switch is engaged. Conclusion is a bad connection somewhere in the white wire in the wiring harness or where it grounds.
                        The white wire in the ten pin harness gets grounded to stop the motor. Either the kill switch when it is activated, or the key switch when it is turned to the off position, applies the ground to the white wire.

Comment

Where does the white wire get grounded too? Is the ground after the switch on the engine block? I tried another harness from the key switch to the motor and still have the same issues. Motor runs for a few seconds after turning key off and kill switch does not stop port motor. I can't help but to think they are connected in some way. Key switch tested and white wire grounds when key switch is off or kill switch activated.

Comment

The ground source is the engine block. It goes up the ten pin main electrical harness to the key switch and kill switch via a black wire.

Comment

To those that could not rest because of my problem, I found the white wire was broken inside the insulation. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X