Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F90TLR not cranking normal

Issue #1:
    About a week ago my F90TLR would crank consistently when I turned the key. Now, when I turn the key it cranks 1 time and then hesitates, then turns over and starts.

Issue #2:
    Also within the last week I would turn the key with the shifter in the neutral and it would start when either cold or hot. Now I have to increase the shift arm idle for it to start consistently.

I'm thinking that #1 might be a starter issue. If so, how can I verify that I have a problem?

These might be 2 separate issues or connected but would like to have some feedback.

Issue #1
    The first things to think of is a weak battery and lose or corroded battery connections. So, make sure your battery is fully charged and check (as in remove and replace) the connections from the battery on back to the starter motor. Just looking at or wiggling wires does not get it. Remove, clean, replace.

Issue #2
    Solve Issue #1 first - there may be not be an Issue #2.

Comment

a voltage drop testy would find it faster than randomly cleaning things,not that cleaning things is a bad thing.

if the cables cannot provide enough current to operate the starter how n de ell ya think it can supply the starter AND the computer AND the fuel pump AND the ign system AND the fuel injectors?

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
        Issue #1
        The first things to think of is a weak battery and lose or corroded battery connections. So, make sure your battery is fully charged and check (as in remove and replace) the connections from the battery on back to the starter motor. Just looking at or wiggling wires does not get it. Remove, clean, replace.

Issue #2
        Solve Issue #1 first - there may be not be an Issue #2.
        2X on this. I suggest start with the connections. Remove every on, clean, inspect, look down the insulation in case sea water ran between the strands. Replace any that are not perfect. Cables are dirt cheap compared to batteries or missed treasured memory. If you correct a weak battery without resolving bad connections, you'll be back where you started with the same work.

Comment

RodBolt17...what would be minimum v drop to look for.

Comment

Working...
          X