speed control on yamaha outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed control on yamaha outboard

after driving a RIB with f115 engine for 5 years, now I am looking to buy a another one.

This lead me to desired functionality on speed or RPM. I Would like be be able to drive in 3 or 4 modes
    harbour/ or crowded area mode (desired max speed 5 kn)
    inland mode ( desired max speed 15 kn)
    safe speed mode ( around 30 kn)
    sea speed mode ( max power)

The function above is a safety function which would like to control with a switch ( mayby key locked) to prevent accidents like falling against throttle handle and to keep the youngsters in control

does anyone know a system (parts) which could help me to rig a 150 to 300 hp boat like described above

the next boat should be a "con*****ed" rocket

thanks

ps I did not have an accident but would like to prevent it

nothing like that have I ever seen.
    some engines will allow a variable *****ing speed but that's about it.

Comment

No cruise control but can you just set your speed with your tachometer?..... My cruise speed is 3500 RPM at 25 MPH, so if I want to go 25 then I just set my tach at 3500 and leave it....that should work for you?.....

Comment

Keep looking for solution

Thanks for the reply,

I will keep on looking for a solution. mainly to override throttle.
        when I find a solution i will post it on this threat

Comment

Let us know the solution that you develop. You have a long row to hoe.

Some Yams use mechanical throttle bodies. With these you might need to implement some sort of electromechanical lock that prevents the throttle cable/throttle from advancing more than X inches/degrees when in the various throttle modes that you mention. Maybe something like a four position linear actuator can be used.

In Yams with an electronic throttle body you might need to figure out an electrical solution that will control the throttle. Maybe an interface box between the accelerator position sensor and the ECU to limit the voltages that the ECU obtains from the position sensor.

Now keep in mind that you will need to implement an override system as well so that in the event someone is about to run you down when the motor is in slow mode that you will be able to quickly advance the throttle and get out of the way.

Good luck.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 03-06-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Mercruiser has a system called "DTS" that does that. But it works in conjunction with a drive-by-wire system and engines that don't use a physical throttle/shift cable between the dash control and engine. Another option is something called PerfectPass, which can work with cables. BUT, both of those systems work with sterndrives/inboards. Personally, I don't know of any system that works with outboards. But if you check into those, it might help give you some ideas.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              Mercruiser has a system called "DTS" that does that. But it works in conjunction with a drive-by-wire system and engines that don't use a physical throttle/shift cable between the dash control and engine. Another option is something called PerfectPass, which can work with cables. BUT, both of those systems work with sterndrives/inboards. Personally, I don't know of any system that works with outboards. But if you check into those, it might help give you some ideas.
              Doesn't the Mercury Verado outboard motor also use DTS? I think so and believe it to be similar to the Yamaha digital control box used in the Offshore model.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Doesn't the Mercury Verado outboard motor also use DTS? I think so and believe it to be similar to the Yamaha digital control box used in the Offshore model.
                Ha! You're totally right. I completely spaced on that. Now, the Merc should also be hooked up with their "Smartcraft" gauges. If so, it's possible that the Verado has the same functionality as the sterndrives. The two biggest things there are "launch control" (various settings for how fast you want your hole shot to be) and "speed control" (cruise control, basically).

I don't know anything about the Yamaha digital control, though (heck, I didn't even know they had drive-by-wire!). Do you know if they have some similar programming available?

Comment

none of the current drive by wire systems do anything near what the OP wants.
                  can you imagine the hungry lawyers when a boater gets run over cause he was in harbor mode ?
                  watched a news program the other day.
                  subject was keyless start cars and the CO deaths they have caused due to the operator parking it in the garage and forgetting to turn the dangitty thang off.

the families are sueing various car makers cause they were to stupid to turn it off and it killed them.

Darwin was almost right.

Comment

"Darwin"...

I know zippo in regards to what OB drive-by-wire systems can/can't do. But with sterndrives/inboards, you can absolutely have settings for various speeds (some are RPM-based, some are speed-based), or different "skiers". Heck, Sea Ray even has this cool thing called Sky-Hook - you know how sometimes you're constantly jockeying for position while waiting for a ramp to open up so you can put the boat back on the trailer? With Sky Hook you simply press a button and the engine management takes over, using GPS, and will control FWD/Neutral/REV (twin engines) to keep it in the exact spot you want. There's a lot of cool technology going on... not sure if I'm a complete fan of it due to the complex nature, though.

I think it's just a matter of time till some of these features on sterndrives trickle over to OB's.
                    Last edited by DennisG01; 03-09-2016, 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Modern Stuff

Well, count me among those that have left the keyless entry car running! Fortunately not in our garage, that would be hard to do 'cause I have to walk past the front of the car to get to the house door. But I did it recently in a parking lot, damn motor is so quiet - I just got out and pressed the door lock button and walked away - Of course I'm 72, thus already disproved the Darwin Theory and can be expected to forget more things in the future.

Sea Ray Sky Hook? I use the anchor feature and remote control on my Minkota Terrova *****ing motor to do the same thing. Step out, send it 50' off shore and press the anchor feature. Of course I only use it to impress the girls 'cause I would never leave an unattended boat 50' off shore - still, its cool.

I am certainly not a fan of the OP's objectives. I think he is looking for a solution when there is no problem, but far be it for me to tell someone else what cool things he should have for his boat. That's why god invented boats - for men to throw hard earned money at. I sure have.

Comment

Volvo has an anchor feature and I am sure Yamaha has incorporated that into helm master,ben a few years since I did helm master school.

but for that many operating modes? none that I have seen yet.

I am familiar some with the master craft wake board setup that you can program various speeds for different boarders.

to much sheet on an outboard.

Comment

I believe the remote starts on the later model cars turn the engine off after about 10 minutes or so....I believe they do but haven't actually checked on my wife's Buick...

Comment

Working...
                          X