Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Outboard Tiller Steer

Hi all,

Need some tips on removing my tiller steer outboard! Reason I'm removing it is my live bait tank is leaking, to get access to the tank is by only removing my outboard...

Please what are the things to do and not to do when removing your outboard? It's the first time I'm doing this and I'll have some help from a couple of mates hopefully!!!

I've put a picture up just in case that might help.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advanced.

Regards
    Bash
    Attached Files

Pics

More pictures of the engine.
    Attached Files

Comment

disconnect everything on motor attached to the boat and lift it off

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        disconnect everything on motor attached to the boat and lift it off
        What's the best way of laying it down? I don't have a lift/jack to lift it off, only a couple of men.

Comment

I would stand it up in out of the way corner where it can't fall over.

You don't really want the oil in the sump, seeping past the rings, getting where it doesn't belong, etc..

Another option, if you have a garage or a large tree and a "come-along", I'd run a 4" x 4" across the rafters, then set the chain around that(or tree limb).

Then hook the come-along to the engine and lift it up by yourself. It won't fall over either while hanging .

Considerably more con*****ed...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You can build a motor stand to mount it onto while off of the boat

Comment

Thank you for the replying guy's.

I really don't want to lay it down so thank you for the idea's... if i was to biuld a stand for the outboard what's the best way of doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by BashYama View Post

I really don't want to lay it down so thank you for the idea's... if i was to biuld a stand for the outboard what's the best way of doing it?
                A 2 x 6 to act as your transom and a bunch of 2x4's with a bunch of nut and bolts or 3/8's screws making a triangular base (that hopefully won't fall over).
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BashYama View Post

Do a web search for outboard motor stands to see what you come up with.

I have seen people bolt boards to trees or other sturdy wood framing/ saw horses.

Anything that will support the weight of motor and keep it from falling over while motor is on it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Do a web search for outboard motor stands to see what you come up with.

I have seen people bolt boards to trees or other sturdy wood framing/ saw horses.

Anything that will support the weight of motor and keep it from falling over while motor is on it
                    I've used a telephone pole(super sturdy) for one end, but that was only for a day to test a repaired engine (head welded-no hull yet). If there's a pole in a safe area, that's half your mount..
                    Scott

Comment

Or open studs in a shop/garage for one side and a board bolted to the other going to the shop floor.
                      the wall stud will keep it from falling over and support and the one to floor is just for helping support of the weight.

Lots of ways to skin this cat,
                      It all depends on if you want it to roll around on wheels on a shop floor or out in the yard, or just man handle the motor from one place to the other

Comment

Thank you for all the help. Will get ot sorted out. Thank you for the ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        X