Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help? NO SPARK! 115hp - be a HERO :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help? NO SPARK! 115hp - be a HERO :)

Outboard: 1992 Yamaha 115hp V4 - Premix version

I have posted a question about this before but I didn't really know with what I was working with. I got a lot of advice regarding disconnecting the white lead kill switch and making sure the battery is good, and etc. Here are my preliminary results while I am waiting on my DVA to come in.

--------- Lead 1---------Lead 2-------------OEM--------CDI----------results-------(AC)-------results
    Trigger--White/Red ----White/Yellow------280-430----280-430-----330 ohms----2.5V------0.45v
    ----------White/Black---White/Green------280-430-----280-430-----330 ohms----2.5V------0.45v

----------Lead 1---------Lead 2------------OEM---------CDI-----------results-------(AC)-------results
    Stator---Brown----------Red----------------840-1260----600-800----690 ohms----85V--------60v
    ----------Blue------------Black/Red---------65-130-------10-20------15 ohms------16V--------10v

Notes: Test was conducted without a DVA (waiting for it to come in the mail) Test was conducted with the leads connected and disconnected from the CDI. Peak voltage is supposedly calculated by dividing RMS by 0.707 (rough estimate until i officially test with DVA)

My big questions are;
    how would I know if CDI is bad? Trigger is bad? Stator is bad?
    is resistance is good in the Trigger, what else can cause the low voltages?
    What is the difference between OEM and CDI? original vs. aftermarket?
    results are of the original parts. if CDI is for an aftermarket part, would my ohms results for the original stator be low?

NOTE: I KNOW ABOUT THE DVA (I AM WAITING FOR IT TO COME IN THE MAIL) BUT I DO KNOW THESE RESULTS COULD KIND OF GIVE AN IDEA OF WHAT IS WRONG, PLUS I JUST WANT ADVICE ABOUT THE BIG QUESTIONS I LISTED ABOVE.

Thank you
    Last edited by chileynikolay; 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM.

OK, I will have a guess, how about a bad earth or corroded wiring?

Comment

test it both loaded and unloaded.
      this is where an analog meter and experience helps.

with a NO spark condition and the white kill wire not attached its either CDI input from the low speed charge coil or the CDI failed.

Comment

Thanks guys , I just bought a fluke to measure better and am still waiting for the dva. Does anyone know the voltages needed for the trigger and the stator coils? The cdi troubleshoot manual states 85v and 45v for stator and 2.5v for the trigger coils. But the seloc service manual states 160-170v with or no load and 165 @1500rpm for low speed and 160-170v with or no load and 75v at 1500rpm for high speed.
        I'm stuck with which is the correct voltages ? and when I will measure them with the dva, do inhale to get at least those voltages?

I will post the results when I get the dva

Thanks guys, i just don't know what to do anymore and the service shops have a month wait time

Comment

I would look at a Yamaha service manual for your motor, not after market ones. unless you are using after market parts that you are testing.

The specs listed should be in minimum values

Comment

does anyone know if here would be any voltage reading from the outputs of the powerpack if the trigger doesnt have enough voltage coming in to release the stored power in the powerpack?

Comment

How do you suppose all this power gets into the CDI to be "released"? I think you need to stop looking for a miracle fix via the Internet and actually trouble shoot properly with a genuine manual and equipment, guessing, measuring unknown values and "sounds like" usually don't fix anything.

Comment

Go to the CDI Electronics website, they have a excellent trouble shooting instruction sheet and sell quality replacement parts with better than a "out the door" warranty that most dealers give and I bet you can call them too!!! I am not connected with them other than buying their parts for years.

Comment

i just realized, the cdi manual updated in 2012 says i need 45v for the high speed coil, but on the 2014 updated manual it says i need 16v for the high speed coil. so which one is it? If 16v i think I'm okay, the 45v, i am way too low

Comment

stator low speed cranking loaded 160v min, unloaded 170 v.

high speed cranking loaded/unloaded 45v min.

Comment

good evening everyone. I finally got the DVA and the results are in.

for stator:

the stator is having in the engine is a CDI brand aftermarket stator.
                      i got 163v on the low speed and 24v on the high speed.
                      specs say 85v on high speed and 16v or 45v (depending on revision year of manual) on the high speed.

for the trigger:

i got 5.4 for both triggers (changes when flywheel spins faster or slower)

BIG NOTE: i measured with the lead connected to the cdi and disconnected. when connected i would get the same results with the rev blue lead disconnected also but when it is connected everything would drastically go down.

ALSO, i noticed a few times now, that i see spark for only a couple seconds when cranking the first time during of day and then i cannot replicate it anymore.

My guess is that the CDI is bad and needs to be replaced. I believe the stator should at least fire some kind of spark even if the high speed is low since the low speed seems perfect and when cranking, it is obviously using the low speed coil.the previous owner obviously got a brand new aftermarket CDI stator and count figure out the problem and donated the boat to an auction where i got it from. I have a brand new trigger but don't want to install it is not necessary because i can still return in. I also have a brand new OEM power-pack coming in on Saturday.

let me know your suggestions about what you think the problem is and please comment about why the high speed stator is low and why it would be like that especially when the stator looks brand new.

thank you guys

Comment

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I received my OEM yamaha CDI in the mail and installed it today.

IT SPARKED AND STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never had this motor running so you have to understand why I'm so excited.
                        not only is it running but it is running really good. for a motor that wasn't used for 10 years it runs better than motors that are only 5 years old.

thanks guys for any good comments and advise, just wanted to update every one.

Comment

Working...
                        X