Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil type fluid *** what is this from ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil type fluid *** what is this from ???

Good evening ...

I took of the lower unit to change my impeller on the 1992 Yamaha 115hp v4 outboards and put that to the side . I notice some oil fluid start to swap down the back of the putboard body going sort of from the hole where the main shaft goes into when putting the lower unit back on. It stopped and is not leaking anymore. There was approximately a couple OZ that went down and that's it. The plains look wet with it and the hole looks wet . What fluid is this ? It's dark and oily. Unburned fuel ? The motor looks like is was last registered 10 years ago. I bought it at a charity auction . Having some issues with not getting spark but that's a different thread. Just wanna see if this is something big or not

Being its a 2 stroke, you can rule out engine out from the sump.

It could be a little bit of 2 stroke oil that leaked out over time or just someone sloppy.

Should it be a lower crankshaft seal, you really won't know till you get it running.

There's only fuel and oil (not counting cooling water which it obviously isn't). Its possible the top oil tank over flowed at one point but you don't have much oil "now"

Again, you should get it running and monitor for leaks..

Probably nothing major.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the input, Once i get it running I will monitor it as per your advice. I dont have an oil tank since it is not an injection model for the motor, I have to premix myself. Looks like yamaha made a premix version. There is a place to put in a automatic injection unit but looks like it was never there because there are no connections or tubes anywhere on the outboard. the manual states that indeed Yamaha made some non injection models. Thats pretty much why i was confused as to what that fluid was since there is nothing up there that i have to refill or top off. So im guessing it was unburned oil from the fuel that gathered somewhere there, or maybe someone went crazy on some grease. I dont know but we will figure it out after we get it running. Thank you

Comment

Well, that's one less thing to break / worry about.

Please post back once running and update. Good luck.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X