Oil Leak From Weep hole 2002 Yamaha 225 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak From Weep hole 2002 Yamaha 225 4 stroke

Walked out this morning and noticed oil leaking out of the weep hole just above the lower unit exhaust port.....then tilted the motor up and it was pouring out.....any ideas what would cause this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Res2que@; 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM. Reason: add picture

leaking seals or hole on oil pan

Does it smell like lower unit lube or motor oil?

Comment

i cant really tell ....but its seems thinner than gear oil

Comment

someone said ...crankshaft seal.....is that a possibility

Comment

Originally posted by Res2que@ View Post
          someone said ...crankshaft seal.....is that a possibility
          well, there's this issue:

"A Yamaha-specific repair sleeve has been developed to repair seal wear on the F150, F200, F225 and F250 crankshafts. These models utilize an oil pump that is driven by the lower end of the crankshaft. Oil leakage is con*****ed by a double-lip oil seal in the oil pump housing. Seal wear grooves may develop on the crankshaft seal surface due to environmental conditions and usage patterns leading to oil leakage down the driveshaft. To minimize repair time and expense, the Yamaha-specific repair sleeve for this specialized application can be installed on the crankshaft to provide a new seal surface without requiring replacement of the crankshaft. Installation of the repair sleeve requires removal of the powerhead assembly and removal of the oil pump from the crankcase. No further disassembly of the powerhead assembly is necessary. Yamaha recommends replacing the oil pump, related seals, and gaskets when installing a repair sleeve"

Comment

repair

Start with a course crocus cloth,, lapping and moving to a smother...don't worry about removing too much metal. The RED "Locktite" will fill in the blank spots....the final trick is to drive the "speedee seal" on True....any thing but perfect,, redo !! grease the seal and shaft with OMC Triple guard grease...

Comment

man
              if my motor had a leak I would simply disassemble the whole thing cause I read it on the net.

if you suspect a drive shaft oil leak is it to hard to simply look first?

take a good flash light,look carefully just under the steering tiller ,now you can see the shaft and the oil pump assy.

if its wet with oil its leaking.
              guess what if its dry?

Comment

Originally posted by Res2que@ View Post
                i cant really tell ....but its seems thinner than gear oil
                Have you ever smelled the 2 different lubes?
                they smell totally different, as least the ones I have sniffed did

Comment

Hi guys! Saw oil leak (brownish) drips to the lower cowling down to the lower unit
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here brownish oil drips to the bottom cowling and down to the lower unit cover. I have a F225 '08 model that ran 360hours. Appreciate your inputs. Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

old thread, start your own

Comment

Working...
                      X