Fuel tank reading on gauge 6Y8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank reading on gauge 6Y8

I have had the new 6Y8 gauges fitted for my new F150 four stroke. The dealer cauld not get the under floor fuel sender to register on the speed gauge. I have tried changing the 3 tank versions through the menu set up. I have checked the sender - OK. The technician has wired the black lead on the HUB to ground and connected the pink wire to the sender. I have used a 50 ohm & 120 ohm resister across the black/pink as well as pink to ground, but there is still no indication on the display.
    Does anyone know what the black / pink wires are looking for or how to test without the tank sender ?
    Thanks for reading.

The white wire coming out of the gauge is for fuel. Attach the pink wire from the fuel sender here.

Comment

!,,,,,,,,,,,
      Last edited by boscoe99; 02-19-2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

6Y8 gauges

Thanks for the reply. I may have confused you slightly - the sender has a black wire and a blue wire. Black is connected to ground. The "Command Link" HUB has a connector with the black and pink wires dedicated to fuel tank 1. The sender blue wire is/was connected to the pink wire from the HUB - as it should be as per the installation manual.
        However there is no indication on the gauge. That is why I am looking for a confirmation of how to test the gauge without the sender - just to make certain the gauge is working ?
        Thanks again for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Hutcho88 View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I may have confused you slightly - the sender has a black wire and a blue wire. Black is connected to ground. The "Command Link" HUB has a connector with the black and pink wires dedicated to fuel tank 1. The sender blue wire is/was connected to the pink wire from the HUB - as it should be as per the installation manual.
          However there is no indication on the gauge. That is why I am looking for a confirmation of how to test the gauge without the sender - just to make certain the gauge is working ?
          Thanks again for your interest.
          I don't know that you confused me but I am confused.

With a Command Link gauge the sender wires, no matter what their color, don't connect to the CL hub. The sender wires go directly to the speedometer via a small harness that Yamaha sells. That harness contains two black wires (one for each of up to two senders) a pink wire for one of two senders, a pink wire with a black tracer for one of two senders, and a blue wire and a white wire for a GPS speed input.

The hub only uses four wires. One for 12 volts positive, one for the battery ground and two data wire pairs. Sender info is not part of the data set

To test the gauge simply disconnect the sender wires. The gauge will read empty and the bottom bar will flash. Short the pink wire to the black wire and the gauge will read full. Or maybe vice vers.i

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99 - you are correct with your explanation. I realize that the pigtails are not on the command link com's bus but are plugged into the hub. With your response I will now test as you suggest
            Thank you

Comment

It's fixed

Thanks all for your ideas and guidance.
              I pulled the HUB apart and realized that the pink / black wires where not connected to anything.
              The technician put the connector on the HUB instead of the back of the speed gauge - all operational.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X