Cooling Passage on Lower Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Passage on Lower Unit?

My 06 250 Vmax has burned thru some props (7) and I was told to check the cooling passage not the water pump out channel. I was told the passage may be clogged causing the rubber hub to melt. Boat would run fine on the first try with a new hub but the second run it just spins. My old Merc prop will struggle but get it up on plane and run decent. I currently have the LU off but not sure what to do now.

Hey guys -- Rodbolt, etc -- this is a co-worker of mine -- any help is appreciated!!
    Thanks!!!!

Comment

I was told to look for an exhaust hole under the trim tab but all I see are the two bolt holes. And when I do find it how do I clean the hole/tube/canal/passage?

Comment

this place is funny !!

uhhh, why don't you hire a competent marine mechanic ?? PS..I just reread your post,,7 props later and your asking for help ?? why do SO many fools think that they can fix a marine motor ??? pay a dentest to fix your teeth,,pay a cook to cook your food,,
        Last edited by bajakeith; 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
          uhhh, why don't you hire a competent marine mechanic ?? PS..I just reread your post,,7 props later and your asking for help ?? why do SO many fools think that they can fix a marine motor ??? pay a dentest to fix your teeth,,pay a cook to cook your food,,
          I apologize for your stupidity on this you obviously didn't know I took it the boat to 2 mechanics who both said it ran fine, nothing wrong (and yes I got a bill). Of course each time the "mechanic" needed to have a good prop with a new hub. The boat ran fine at the shops but not in open water. Your a real POS! Anway "POS", I was talking to the dealer and he sugessted an easy fix and just drop the LU myself and I did. While I await his recommendation I thought I'd ask on the forum and then you crawled out from your rock.

I only asked for help if you didn't want to help then your just a POS.

Thanks again

Comment

bajakeith - take your meds, fool. He asked a simple question, that's what this forum is all about, a quest for answers about outboard motors. Hell, if were up to you every question would be answered with, "bring it to a mechanic".......

By the way, you may want to hire an IT person to install a spell check on your computer......spell check is your friend........WTF is a dentest?

Comment

Sounds like you have issues but that square bore plastic hub, flo torq, pops in and out in a couple of minutes. Try melting that under water

Comment

without looking at a parts diagram,thats going to be your job.
                quite a number of large V6,V8 outboards use a metal pipe between the trim tab cavity and the propshaft bearing carrier to use the trim tab scoop to supply extra cooling water to the prop hub.

and that's the issue on some Vmax engine mounted on bass boats with jack plates and surface or semi surface piercing props and low water pickups.

if your running the anti ventilation plate out of the water or the wrong or no trim tab that's what happens.
                melted hubs and it wont matter if its flo torque,pressed in or cusion lock.

Comment

Joe - lol

you almost hurt my feelings-NOT....But, your the only fool that I have ever heard of melting 7 props hubs....are ya shooting at 8 ???

Comment

Since Bajakeith hasn't offered anything of relevance here I would just ignore him. What an ass.

Comment

I understand ya Baja .

a great man once described insanity.
                      he said something about doing the same thing the same way twice and expecting a different result.

means after the second failure in that short time I would have found a tech that knows whats going on.

means dropping the case and inspecting the pipe maybe?
                      takes all of 30 min.

means looking at the jack plate setup and the ventilation plate when running.

means finding out why the exhaust gasses are so hot that the water cannot keep the rubber cool.
                      or the wrong hub is being used for the application.

Comment

He did go to TWO techs that didn't solve the problem -- Maybe there are too many "certified idiots" in the outboard repair field and that is why he came here to ask a question. Joeschon loves to fish, it is his passion.

BUT instead of an simple answer he was hit with a bunch of BS.

I'm the one who told him to post here but I guess that was a big mistake, I expected more --

Sayounara -- I won't waste anymore of my time here.

CatCam

Comment

Originally posted by CatCam View Post
                          He did go to TWO techs that didn't solve the problem -- Maybe there are too many "certified idiots" in the outboard repair field and that is why he came here to ask a question. Joeschon loves to fish, it is his passion.

BUT instead of an simple answer he was hit with a bunch of BS.

I'm the one who told him to post here but I guess that was a big mistake, I expected more --

Sayounara -- I won't waste anymore of my time here.

CatCam
                          It takes some getting used to. Overall this forum is excellent!
                          Don't go away.
                          Sometimes people post an observation or comment not directly helping the OP or directly addressing the problem - just as I am doing now.

Hang in there.

Comment

Seems to me that post #8 from Rodbolt should have helped.
                            Not sure it answered the question of how to clean it, but looking to see what is there and what kind of set up you have should lead you to an answer.
                            Is it possible someone installed the wrong lower unit, trim tab, or motor was swapped off of a differnt boat that has a problem with the way you are set up

Comment

DUDE
                              in TWO not just ONE and now THREE posts I have mentioned the steps to take.

very FIRST thing you do when you go to a DEALERSHIP.

check the wall for up to date school certificates.

then find out if the tech has any practicle experience with bass/ flats boats.

typically Vmax engines are 20" shafts and go on bass and flats type boats.
                              these hulls tend to run high on the transom with jack plates and tend to run at or near WOT all the time.

gives a unique experience that automotive ,pontooners and blow boaters never see.

like it runs fine for 13 minutes above 5200 RPM then falls on its face.

yep you could almost time it with a watch.
                              was a problem hanging onto the lap top at 76 MPH.

Comment

Working...
                              X