Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit

I don't mean to ramble, but have two concerns with a new (reman) lower unit I recently installed on my '91 model 150 TXRP. The unit seems to perform fine, but I notice a clunking/knocking sound when in forward gear at or just slightly above idle speed. I think this may be gear backlash, but I'm not certain, any ideas or thoughts? Also, I didn't notice until after I installed the new lower unit and put it in the water, I have water coming from under the engine cowling, this doesn't happen on the other counter rotating engine. I have a new H20 pump, and the seal at the bottom end of the water inlet tube appears in good condition. Does anyone know wher this water may be coming from of what I should look for? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sometimes the drive shaft will make a rattling noise at idle. If you have an aluminum prop then put it on and see if noise is eliminated, if so then it's common and wont hurt anything. As far as the water leak you should be able to see the leak under the cowling when engine is running.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have an aluminum prop, but did run the unit in water without the prop on while looking for the leak and moved from forward to reverse several times and didn't hear the "rattle". Also, since I had the lower unit off again I checked the oil and there was no evidence of a problem. As I said, when running in a drum of water I couldn't find a leak, but had already replaced a loose tie strap that was clamping the hose from the lower right side of the block to the pressure relief valve housing. Hope this took care of it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X