Starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor

I have a Yamaha F25AEHTL motor. I went out the other day and it started first press of the starter button, we motored around for awhile then stopped, when we were going to leave the motor would not start. There was a clicking sound when the starter button was pushed, after about 5 or 6 pushes the motor fired.
    When we got home I checked the battery for charge then I removed the motor cowl to check terminal connection and test the starter switch. Switch tested OK, I removed all connections form the solenoid, cleaned and reconnected with no change. I then removed the top cover from flywheel and watched the starter motor operation, when the starter button is pushed the solenoid clicks and the popup gear on the starter motor rocks slightly but does not spin and come up to spin flywheel. Is the solenoid or the starter motor the problem ?

bad battery cable or connection would be my guess

Comment

Check to see if your getting a FULL 12 VOLTS to the starter when you push the start button/switch.

If you are, the starter is your issue.

**As noted above, bad connections at the battery, cables, grounds can cause the same symptoms. Check at the battery, (R&R cable), inspect cable ends, R&R grounds at battery/block, etc. Just looking at the connections DO NOT COUNT...

Dielectric grease on all those connections is highly recommended to prevent corrosion..

My starter relay awhile ago was failing however it clicked (didn't turn the engine over) about 5 times, then started before I could do any diagnoses.. The click I heard was the coil inside the relay working (moving the contacts together (as it should). However, the contacts inside were burnt up-IE VERY BAD connection, full voltage NOT making it to the starter.

Here's a pic of the contact points from the old relay (you can see where its burned up):
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Starter

Thanks for replies 99yam40 & TownsendsFJR1300
        Checked battery connections, GOOD, battery voltage 12.8v.
        Voltage at switch connection on solenoid when pressed 12.8v
        Voltage at solenoid to starter motor connection 0.00v, so would assume that the solenoid is the problem ?
        Cheers
        Dobbo5647

Comment

If there's NO voltage to the solenoid, (the key may have to be in the CRANKING/start position), and still no voltage, its before that..

If you have 12 volts in to the solenoid (cranking position) and nothing coming out, yes, that sounds like the solenoid.

You can also run 12 volts (from a battery) DIRECT to the starter terminal and ground (bypassing everything), the starter should spin over (Disconnect the line going to the starter first to isolate it).
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X