Hooking up controls----nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up controls----nightmare

To start----the I.D. tag is missing off my Yamaha 30hp 2 stroke electric start, long shaft remote control outboard------the inside of the engine cover has YAQ 2002 stamped in the plastic.-----Whew-----

The control pigtail coming out of the engine has a 7 pin plug (newer models seem to be a 10 pin)

I need a top mount control----so I went with a Binnicle 704 remote control/single

I needed a key switch ----went with a 704-82570-12-00

Nothing hooks together??

Before I start sending things back----is there any advise out there??

HELP

My OB has a 7 pin main harness------is there an adapter to a 10 pin??

Comment

the 10 pin control harness plugs into the 3 pin engine harness.
      the other three pins in the control harness are for trim and tilt, not used on a pin engine harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Grampahook View Post
        My OB has a 7 pin main harness------is there an adapter to a 10 pin??
        Yes. Part number 703-8258A-00

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

OK-------Now I have the 10 pin headed to the control station-------
          is there an interface cable to plug my three components together? The 10 pin cable from engine to the Remote control 704-48205-P1-00 and to my key switch ----went with a 704-82570-12-00

I sure appreciate the help-----if I purchased the wrong parts, I can send them back

Comment

Why not use the rest of the book to help you get to where you want to go?

I am presuming by three components that you mean the gauges. The gauges get their electrical power and ground from a fused harness that runs from the key switch to the gauges.

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Hooking up controls ----nightmare

Actually I'm still trying to get the engine ---- control ------ and ignition hooked together

In the book I found a 7 pin harness 688-82586-50-00 that would eliminate the 7 to 10 pin adapter and interface the engine,control, and ignition switch

Lacking confidence here
              Last edited by Grampahook; 02-13-2016, 12:35 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

The issue as I see it is that the control box you bought is the kind for an engine with trim and tilt. That is where the extra three wires come from. A ten pin harness is used for motors with trim and tilt and a seven pin harness is used for motors without trim and tilt.

I doubt that the seven pin harness will connect correctly to the harness coming from the control box. You may be trying to go where no man has gone before.

Here is the way that it would have been configured for a two stroke with trim and tilt with a pre mix model Yam. You don't say if yours is premix or oil injected.

Comment

Oil injected-------manual choke

So I may have to adapt the 7 pin main harness to 10 pin regardless

Again----Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X