1998 115 2 stroke no power to motor or tilt and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 115 2 stroke no power to motor or tilt and trim

The motor and trim were working fine one day and then the next time I went to use the boat I had no power to tilt and trim or the motor. I have replaced the battery(probably not bad), the 20 amp fuse at the motor(wasn't blown), put new positive and negative connectors on the wire harness to the battery. I have also test the 10 pin connector at the motor and have power to it. The boat is on a trickle charging system which was installed last summer. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Check (R&R, clean, tighten) all the grounds to the engine.

Have the battery load tested to rule it out. If that charger wasn't automatic, you could have boiled all the water out of it

Follow with a volt meter from the battery (12+ volts) down thru the wiring, any battery switches, etc, to the engine. Somewhere along the line, you have an issue/bad connection.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any updates?
      Scott

Comment

No, still nothing. I guess I'm going to have to take this thing to the shop and get skinned. Thanks.

Comment

Please post back what they find, just to help others, especially if its something unusual..

Good luck..
          Scott

Comment

Okay I didn't give up just yet. I talked to a friend who said yamaha's sometimes have a problem with the wires from the battery to the motor. If I use jumper cables and go from the battery to starter the motor tries to turn over. I replaced both the positive and negative leads from the battery to the motor. The battery is new and I had it tested to make sure it was good. I have 12.94 volts where leads connect to the motor. I have 12.94 volts at the 10 pin connector but I don't have any voltage when I check the connectors at the console. No voltage to tilt and trim and not voltage to key switch. Is it possible that the 10 pin connector from the motor to the console is bad? How can I be sure? Fishing season approaches and I'm starting to sweat!!!

Comment

Yes there can be problems with connections and wires in a harness.
              Need to find out where the connection, wire, or fuse is loosing voltage

Comment

Working...
              X