How do I bypass the fuel filter '88 Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I bypass the fuel filter '88 Yamaha

Hi! I have an older, 1988 yamaha 30 ES, and I'm not sure if its the fuel filter or the pump that is the problem. It starts but doesn't want to idle. I know the carbs are clean as I watched a friend take them apart, clean and rebuild. Its got to be the filter or pump. How do I bypass the small plastic fuel filter in the outboard to rule out the filter? Please explain in detail, if you have the time.
    My friend told me how to do this but I hate to ask him again for the fear of looking STUPID. Also, he told me if I pump the primer bulb on the fuel hose several times and it works then you'll know its the pump.
    I guess the real question is...
    Where exactly does the fuel hose connect to on the engine to bypass the fuel filter? Pictures would be great if able. I am obviously a novice at this but am eager to learn so please provide as much detail as able. Does the fuel line go directly to the fuel pump?
    Thank you for your time and help.

Took a look at the diagrams on Boats.Net. They do not show a 30 hp for '88. Show one for '87 & '89, so it could be a miss-print. What letter code is after the 30ES on the engine tag? (usually on the tilt bracket or there abouts). 30ESF would be '89 .... 30ESH would be '87 .... 30ESG would be '88. Parts look the same for all (although I did not match part numbers).

First off, are you sure the idle mixture screws are set to specs?

To by-pass the fuel filter, first follow the flow of the fuel hose. It goes from the connector, to fuel filter, to fuel pump, to carbs. Looks like your carb is mounted to center carb. My guess is that filter sits on left side of engins block. All you need to do is disconnect the hose going into the filter (comes from the connector) and disconnect the hose from the filter to the fuel pump (disconnect at fuel pump). Plug the end of the first hose into the, now open, fitting on the fuel pump. Fuel will flow from the connector to the fuel pump.

Take a look at the following pic and follow the lines. #23 is the fuel filter. The fuel pump is not numbered on this page (it is on the carb page). #18 is the engine side connector. You will run the fuel line from #18 to the fuel pump. Its that simple.

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=314942

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X