Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

06 Yamaha F150 - Oil in prop exhaust, but what kind of oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up on making oil & flushing

I just wanted to follow up on what I did to remedy my 06 Yamaha F150TXR making oil. After determining the oil slick coming from the prop exhaust was not lower unit related, I found that the engine was making oil, lots of it. I performed the following simple maintenance procedures (on both engines) then ran the boat once on a quick 1/2 hour check ride around the bay, WOT for about five minutes. The next trip was 40 miles, round trip, to some near shore structure, WOT 10 minutes going out then another 10 minutes coming back in. No more oil slick from the prop exhaust and no more blue smoke when idling or underway.
    • Change oil & filter
    • Replace spark plugs (they were black & oily)
    • Change thermostat/gasket

That's it. Engines sound good, and the running numbers are on point, so I'm hoping problem solved.

On a side note, due to low well water pressure at my dock, the engines won't pee on the hose adapter or muffs. Here's a blurb from the Yamaha Outboard FAQ page regarding flushing:

Q: I don’t see water coming out of the overboard indicator when flushing. Is that a problem?
    A: The overboard indicator is for visual verification of water pressure under normal operation. If you are using the convenient flushing attachment feature without running the engine, it is not a problem. However, if you are running the engine while flushing using a flushing attachment like muffs, stop the engine if you do not see water coming out – the engine is not getting adequate water pressure for proper cooling. Correct the problem before continuing to avoid the possibility of serious engine damage.

Regardless of what Yamaha says, how can a proper flush happen if it's not peeing? I've looked at engine diagrams and schematics, but don't really see how that's possible. My thermostats were corroded when I pulled them and the coolant passages have mild salt build up. Maybe from the previous owners not flushing? I don't know, but since this boat is relatively new to me, I want to make sure I'm getting water pushed throughout the entire coolant passage system when flushing. I bought a 1/2 HP portable transfer utility pump from Home Depot for $140 which pumps at 50 psi. I can't find anything in writing where Yamaha puts a threshold on the max psi when flushing. Will 50 psi damage the water pump, seals or internal coolant passage hose connections? Any idea on the engine's cooling psi when running at normal operating speeds?

And thanks again for all the feedback I received which assisted in fixing the making oil issue. I really appreciate it.

Comment

cause on the F150 there is no max water pressure.

no minimum either.

most F150 motors will over heat on a set of flush muffs.

mine will even with full city water pressure.

think about the making oil a bit.

ok

how can I increase the level of oil in the crankcase without physically adding it????

MMMMMM need another beer.
      MMMMMMMMMMM

one way is water but that will turn the oil white?

MMMMM
      another beer.

only other way is gasoline contamination.
      MMMMM anoter bear.

mmmmm
      now overcooling an EFI system will make the system add more fuel cause that stupid ECU does not know the t stat is stuck open so it relies on the thermosensor to tell it when the engine is at operating temp and to decrease injector on time.

another way to add gas to the crankcase is a defective fuel lift pump diaphragm.

another way is the engine is over propped.

see how simple this stuff really is ?

Comment

Originally posted by vb2oc0371 View Post

I bought a 1/2 HP portable transfer utility pump from Home Depot for $140 which pumps at 50 psi. I can't find anything in writing where Yamaha puts a threshold on the max psi when flushing. Will 50 psi damage the water pump, seals or internal coolant passage hose connections? Any idea on the engine's cooling psi when running at normal operating speeds?

And thanks again for all the feedback I received which assisted in fixing the making oil issue. I really appreciate it.
        I have at least 70 PSI coming out my hose with at least 3/4" PVC, (probably 1" for more volume).

You can only get so much water thru the vents and the Water pump impeller is VERY STOUT. You won't damage it. I suspect with 50 PSI, depending on the volume, it still may be an issue.

Here's a video of my 06 F150 on muffs, it has NEVER OVERHEATED while flushing, even with an occasional rev. And It'll run on the muffs at least 10 minutes and another 10 minutes on the power head hose.

BTW, with the suspect maintenance records, I'd be changing out the water pump impellers with a kit. Their likely original and aren't helping pumping water to the power head.

1st Link, Flushing F150 Video by SRT-60 | Photobucket
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X