lower unit seal replace C150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit seal replace C150

After getting all my fuel issues worked out I decided to replace the water pump. Started off as an easy job but after removing the lower impeller plate I noticed a bit of gear oil and the seal cover was loose. After removing the cover I noticed that the spring on the upper seal was broken in 3 places. I recently changed the gear oil and a very small amount of milk came out but for the most part black so i figured everything was fine just old. I think I caught this just in time. I am going to pickup a seal kit today and replace the upper shaft seals. When I was inspecting the lower unit I also noticed some oil around the shift shaft seal cover. I did not try removing it last night but i'm curious if this is as easy as replacing the shaft seals.

Do I have to remove the shift rod to replace the upper seals?

Thanks

never mind I went ahead a pulled it with an angled pick

Comment

Its NOT unusual for those top two seals to fail just over time.

The upper one on mine (the spring like yours broke) failed, the lower didn't but got replaced anyway...

Good catch!
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

doing that job several times a week.
        I gotta ask two questions.
        how did you clean the seal bore?
        how did you keep the debris from cleaning out of the bearings??

yep that's what I thought.
        its also why I remove the seal housings for cleaning and inspection.

Comment

Then after the new seals you'd probably want to change the lower unit oil in case any debris fell down into gearbox?....

Comment

but that will not get it out of the bearings until you run it long enough to have the lube circulate it through everything and finally settle into the bottom with any metal debris it caused

Comment

Its already a done deal, but, hopefully the housing was cleaned before plucking the seals, no crap fell in and they came out intact.
              Scott

Comment

yep it is a done deal.
                I was making a point.
                point is typically I have to use my knife to scrape out the corrosion then sand the bore under running solvent with 320 grit emery cloth to clean them. just did another last Friday.
                everybody has their own way of doing things.
                I cant tell you how many shafts and seal bores I have seen destroyed by improper seal removal or installation.

Comment

I can see where problems can come from with this type of stuff, and I sure miss having a parts washer handy to use when ever I want.
                  Now a days I use some old gas out in the driveway to wash off some of the things I do

Comment

did one a few weeks back that they tried drilling and inserting self tapping screws to remove the seal.
                    brought it to me with a larger propshaft seal leak than what it started.
                    in the process of drilling and inserting the screws they wasted the propshaft and severely damaged the seal bore.
                    the shaft I replaced.
                    the bore I cleaned and J&B welded it.

had they brought it in first the job would have taken shift shaft seal and oring,propshaft seals an oring and drive shaft seals and oring and about 3 hours labor.

the job cost him two sets of prop seals 4 hrs labor and a 290 dollar propshaft.

do it with a drive shaft and that shaft is close to 600 and takes 4-5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      doing that job several times a week.
                      I gotta ask two questions.
                      how did you clean the seal bore?
                      how did you keep the debris from cleaning out of the bearings??

yep that's what I thought.
                      its also why I remove the seal housings for cleaning and inspection.
                      Sorry for no reply I removed the housing then removed the seals at my workbench

Comment

Thanks for the update!!!!
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X