2005 f225 lower unit seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 f225 lower unit seal replacement

Drained foot oil in my 2005 f225 lower unit today and saw a bit of milkyness to the oil. Time to replace the driveshaft and prop shaft seals. My question is can the seals on the prop shaft be changed without removing the prop shaft housing from the lower unit? Manual shows completely disassembling the housing , bearings and all from the housing, but looks to me like if only the seals were being changed that may not all be necessary. Thought I would as the experts. Same basic question for the driveshaft although that looks much easier if it all must be disassembled.

Thanks

can it be done?
    yes.
    odds are very high you will damage the carrier or the propshaft or both.
    I see it a couple times a year.

best method is to simply disassemble it and reassemble.
    takes about 2.5/3 hours.
    buy only the seals and orings you need.
    don't buy a lower seal kit.

Comment

Maybe just the drain/vent screw plug washers just need to be replaced?....it would be worth a try before going into the lower unit....

Comment

I would recommend pressure testing to see what is leaking, there are o rings along with the seals and gaskets that can leak

Comment

Pressure tested at 10 PSI. Driveshaft and output shaft seals leaking. Already tore apart and ready to order parts.

Always something, but glad I checked lower unit oil today, only a slight bit of milkyness and no trash on magnet so think I got it in time.

Comment

Working...
          X