Oil link adjust....false memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil link adjust....false memory?

Doing a sync and link on my 2002 TXRA 150. I seem to remember when the throttle plates are closed (idle screw backed off....plates in sync already) there should be a spec'ed gap between the oil pump lever and the stopper. I was walking through the FSM while doing this and when I got to syncing the oil injection it reads as with the throttle plates fully closed (as above) adjust the link so the the oil pump lever is at the stopper (no spec'ed gap).

Am I remembering the spec'ed gap incorrectly?? I checked my knock off service manual and it reads the same. Thanks, this more of a sanity check than anything else.
    Last edited by cheetah chrome; 06-09-2016, 09:42 PM.

gap is typically .005"-.020" mostly you don't want the arm stopper as a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      gap is typically .005"-.020" mostly you don't want the arm stopper as a stop.
      Thanks, my memory kept telling me set it to .020"...glad I asked. All set now but I was slightly over oiling before. Hopefully will give me a lil better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by cheetah chrome View Post
        Thanks, my memory kept telling me set it to .020"...glad I asked. All set now but I was slightly over oiling before. Hopefully will give me a lil better performance.
        You might have seen a different model Yamaha. The HPDI service manual for instance specifies a clearance of less than 0.020" (.5 mm). Less than 0.020" could mean the lever and the stopper are touching.

I have looked at several Yamaha 150 two stroke service manuals, from older to the latest. All say to make sure that oil pump lever touches the stopper.

The closer the lever is to touching the stopper the quicker the oil pump will start allowing more oil to flow as the throttle is opened. Are you sure that you want less oiling? When it comes to some premix Yamaha models folks are intentionally setting them up to run with more oil.

From the latest Yamaha 150 SM:

Comment

at .005-.020 its actually going to oil more faster.
          not enough so you would notice it.
          unlike the older kein pumps the mikuni pump slows oil nearer the stopper and increases oiling as the arm moves away from the stopper.

that's why when the link broke on the old kien pumps the motor was toasted.

biggest thing is not using the arm stopper as a stopper.
          that's the function of the idle stop screw.

Comment

Thanks for doing some extra digging. Right now I am ~.005 to .010" from touching the stopper (1/2 turn of the link to from touching the stopper position towards oiling). So I believe I am set per the FSM while still on the cautious/oiling side.

Prior to this sync and link process incorrectly I was set at ~.035-.040" from the stopper at fully closed throttles. Pulled plugs and confirmed heavy on the oil by inspecting the plugs.

Comment

Working...
            X