Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 90 2 Two Stroke with 10 hours. Do I need to need to camera the cylinders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 2 Two Stroke with 10 hours. Do I need to need to camera the cylinders.

I have found a 90HP Yamaha two stroke with 6-10 hours. (it was tarped so we didn't crawl up and look at the tarp) This engine was tarped and sat under a cover its whole life so it looks in showroom condition on the outside.
    This engine has sat in storage on a boat all its life and has only been run in fresh water the little time it has ran. It was started and ran 100% last summer.
    They say it has been fogged but I am not sure that it has always been fogged it's whole life.
    Before purchasing should I try and stick a little camera in to have a look at the cylinder walls or anything. Would the normal air humidity be able to start a little pre rust in there and would there be a mark where the rings sat against the walls.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts or suggestions.

Looking into the cylinders wouldn't hurt. See how the spark plugs are burning as well..

I would put maybe a tea spoon or two of oil in each cylinder BEFORE spinning over as you know the top end is very dry from sitting.

The oil would bump up the compression some but take a compression test of ALL cylinders and make sure their within 10% or so of each other.

I'd be concerned of the carbs being clogged up if they weren't drained and sat for a year with fuel in them. You can pull the drain screw out of the bottom of EACH BOWL and catch what comes out in a tuna fish can. Most likely, very stinky and stale fuel, NOT good...

Count on pulling at least the bowls off for at least a basic cleaning and pulling the jets as they'll likely be clogged...

Good luck and please post back what you find..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Both cylinders? Didn't he say it's a 90HP?

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
        Both cylinders? Didn't he say it's a 90HP?
        yea I caught that too but did not think it was worth posting about.
        A 2 cylinder 90 would be interesting
        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Where is the reference to two cylinders? I can't find it.

Do I need to have my eyes checked?

Never mind. Found it. Damn my eyes.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 01-22-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

People use the wrong words all of the times these days. By accident or ignorance.

We just have to hazard a guess as to what they really mean.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              People use the wrong words all of the times these days. By accident or ignorance.
              We just have to hazard a guess as to what they really mean.
              You don't have to hazard a guess.

LIGHTEN UP GUYS, you all know (its in black and white).

Why would you do two TWO Cylinders and NOT THREE???

Its been changed, you can loosen your Panties now..

I did notice no ONE ADDED ANYTHING to the OPs question, well?

With that said, it seems finding even the slightest fault / being NASTY with a post IS MORE IMPORTANT than helping someone with a question, pretty childish (VERY OFTEN). FOUR posts to hammer a typo/boo and NONE TO HELP.
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-23-2016, 07:38 AM.
              Scott

Comment

yes humidity can rust cylinders and bearings.
                if it looks good rebuild the carbs,fix the fuel lines,replace the water pump BEFORE running it.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  You don't have to hazard a guess.

LIGHTEN UP GUYS, you all know (its in black and white).

Why would you do two TWO Cylinders and NOT THREE???

Its been changed, you can loosen your Panties now..

I did notice no ONE ADDED ANYTHING to the OPs question, well?

With that said, it seems finding even the slightest fault / being NASTY with a post IS MORE IMPORTANT than helping someone with a question, pretty childish (VERY OFTEN). FOUR posts to hammer a typo/boo and NONE TO HELP.
                  You said to do both cylinders. We did not know which two of the three that you wanted the OP to inspect.

Make a boo boo here and some wise ass is going to find it and point it out. People like to make a breakfast out of picking fly shit from their pepper rather than enjoying their bacon and eggs.

Comment

mmmmmm
                    bacon

Comment

when you buy used motors you never really know what you will get.

My C40 was 3rd hand when I bought it.
                      I eventually found out someone had drilled out the main jets, the CDI was retarding the idle timing too far, and the crankshaft main bearings(3 out of the 4) had some rust pitting so I had to send it off for rebuilding.
                      It took a few years to find all of this and fix them.
                      But it ran well or at least good enough for me to use it during that time. The bearings just got louder over time ,so I finally took it apart to find what was causing it.

So yes a borescope might let you see if there was rust in cylinders, but not much way to inspect the crank and bearings except taking apart.

Comment

Anyone want to see my borescope photos?

I am cleared for the next ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          mmmmmm
                          bacon

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            You said to do both cylinders. We did not know which two of the three that you wanted the OP to inspect.

Make a boo boo here and some wise ass is going to find it and point it out. People like to make a breakfast out of picking fly shit from their pepper rather than enjoying their bacon and eggs.
                            Tell me really Boscoe, if it was a 2 HP or a 200 HP, its a two stroke. The procedure is EXACTLY THE SAME and you know it.. It doesn't matter the HP, model # or # of cylinders. So the "Boo" is ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT..

And that's the silliest thing I've read you post, "which two cylinders to inspect"??? Are you kidding?

And yes, several wise a$$es pointed it out just to show their a$$ with NO help to the OP. Glad you feel good, as do the others.

Short of Rodbolts post, I see NO ONE else HAS CONTRIBUTED for the OP, good for you..
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-23-2016, 01:53 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

Feeling a bit out of sorts are we?

There is nothing like a couple of Qualudes, a six pack of Cerveza and some Moody Blues music to help one get through a funk.

Might I suggest it?

Pay close attention to the . It has meaning.

Do we have need of an emoticon for "right over my head"?
                              Last edited by boscoe99; 01-23-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X