Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer alarm buzzer

Hi!

Bought a used Honda analog Tach with digital hours meter (by FARIA if I’m not wrong) to replace my Pro Series tach 6Y5-83540-20 used on my F40.

The reason is because I want to have look on the hours, so far I’m using an inductive hours meter but is fixed on the CDI bracket and to have a look on the hours I have to remove the cowling and I don’t want that thing out.

Moving from the Yamaha tach to the Honda tach I’ll “loose” the temperature and oil pressure lights but thats not a problem since this motor is tiller handle and I have the pilot light on the bottom cowling doing the same job.

So the thing is that this Honda/Faria tach as many other brands will count hours just at key “ON” and if for any reason I left the key “ON” will add hours to the meter even with the motor not running.

What comes to my mind is add a buzzer alarm that sound at key “ON” but shut after the motor ir running. This way I would not forget the key “ON” adding hours to the tach.

Is this possible?

How should I wire that thing?

Yellow wire (12v) and Green wire (tach signal) ?

Suggestions or other options are wellcome.

hour meter

As silly as I am I would probably opt for moving the present hourmeter to the instrument panel. Putting a Honda tach on a Yamaha is like putting a $5.00 saddle on a $100,000.00 horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain RW View Post
      As silly as I am I would probably opt for moving the present hourmeter to the instrument panel. Putting a Honda tach on a Yamaha is like putting a $5.00 saddle on a $100,000.00 horse.
      A bit of a brash statement don't you think?

Yamaha makes excellent products but when it comes to powered vehicles I don't think Honda is any slouch. In fact, Honda is far and away the larger corporation.

Does Yamaha make automobiles? Does Yamaha make a business jet?

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
        Hi!

Bought a used Honda analog Tach with digital hours meter (by FARIA if I’m not wrong) to replace my Pro Series tach 6Y5-83540-20 used on my F40.

The reason is because I want to have look on the hours, so far I’m using an inductive hours meter but is fixed on the CDI bracket and to have a look on the hours I have to remove the cowling and I don’t want that thing out.

Moving from the Yamaha tach to the Honda tach I’ll “loose” the temperature and oil pressure lights but thats not a problem since this motor is tiller handle and I have the pilot light on the bottom cowling doing the same job.

So the thing is that this Honda/Faria tach as many other brands will count hours just at key “ON” and if for any reason I left the key “ON” will add hours to the meter even with the motor not running.

What comes to my mind is add a buzzer alarm that sound at key “ON” but shut after the motor ir running. This way I would not forget the key “ON” adding hours to the tach.

Is this possible? Possible but I think a buzzer sounding all of the time would drive one (me anyway) crazy. If this is what you are saying.

How should I wire that thing?

Yellow wire (12v) and Green wire (tach signal) ?

Suggestions or other options are wellcome.

How exotic of a wiring scheme are you willing to pursue?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain RW View Post
          I would probably opt for moving the present hourmeter to the instrument panel. .
          The boat is a skiff, motor tiller handle and I don´t have a dash / instrument panel.

For sure I would like to have all stuff YAMAHA but just can have one gauge, I wanted a analog tach on this boat and hour meter but Yamaha don´t offer what I wanted so the Honda logo almost will not be noticed anyway.

Tomorrow will post a pic. of what I´m talking about (today but later)

Comment

You must have insomnia being up so late. Hell, it might be early tomorrow for you depending upon the time you rise. You are ahead of the roosters.

Comment

Is this possible? "Possible but I think a buzzer sounding all of the time would drive one (me anyway) crazy. If this is what you are saying."

Yes, thats what I'm saying.
              The key just will be on "ON" position just before crank the motor, otherwise the motor will be running or not, I dont use to have the key on "on" position so the buzzer sound does not concern me.

This is just an idea to prevent add hours to the tach.

If you have other option let me know.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              How exotic of a wiring scheme are you willing to pursue?
              Simple as possible and effective

I know some motors outboards and inboards "not YAMAHA that I know" do some type of self test at key on "ON" position but not sure if is a continuous sound.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                You must have insomnia being up so late. Hell, it might be early tomorrow for you depending upon the time you rise. You are ahead of the roosters.

2AM here now...

Have been working last night so a little insomnia now.
                I don´t sleep much anyway.

Comment

how about this - the engine produces 12V, while it running, yes?

insert a suitable diode (has to be able to handle the full output current)

between the voltage regulator output and the battery.

Connect the 12V+ for the tach/hour meter NOT to the "ignition"

but instead, behind that diode (on the voltage regulator side of it)

ergo the instrument will only be powered when the engine is running

Comment

I was thinking of a diode but the problem with them is the inherent voltage drop across it. About ,7 volts as I recall.

I am also thinking of a solid state relay of some kind triggered by the Primestart circuit. A normally closed relay that is opened by PS power. Power to a buzzer through the relay. Key on the buzzer sounds. Engine runs and the relay is opened by PS power. Turn off the motor, PS power is lost and the relay closes reminding Mr. Almetelo to turn the damn key off.

More than one way to skin this cat.

Comment

if all you want is a buzzer that sounds with key on engine off.
                      its dirt simple.

run another wire from the oil pressure switch,to the horn,the other horn lead run to the yellow Yamaha key on 12V wire.
                      now anytime the key is on and there is no oil pressure the horn sounds.

Comment

I like Rodbolts suggestion. Simple.

Presuming of course that the oil pressure switch is rated for the current of the buzzer. Might want to measure the current flow through the buzzer.

Worst case you could use a solid state relay grounded by the pressure switch to apply a ground to the buzzer.

Comment

Hi!

Boscoe, Fairdeal and Rodbolt thanks for your suggestions!

Already did it and is worling as I want.

Did it using a NC AC relay as Boscoe suggested, add other buzzer I had around which was not really necessary.

Tried to get current from PrimeStart as Boscoe suggested and didn´t worked, tried on the Green/Tach signal wire from the tiller and didn´t work (the buzzer just shut above 2k rpm's) but worked getting the current to shut the buzzer from the White/Green wire from the stator.

Rodbolt suggestion is simple but now is done.

Thanks!

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Very nice.
                              Rodbolt's solution was impressively clever.

I am curious about one detail-

is the stored hour value re-settable on that Honda instrument?

(I mean, back to "zero")

AFAIK, the standard Yamaha tach is not....

Comment

Working...
                              X