1994 txrs 200hp charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 txrs 200hp charging issue

Got into some rough stuff, battery holders broke loose and the 2 batteries shorted into each other, momentarily killing the engine.

Now engine runs fine but doesn't charge. Don't have the tools to remove the flywheel. Located in cape coral and thought I saw a mechanic/ member in the area.

Any advise or help is welcome.

Presuming that you have checked the output from the rectifier/regular and find that it is not meeting specifications then I would check the output of the lighting coil.

You don't need to remove the flywheel to check the lighting coil. The output leads from the lighting connect to the input leads to the R/R. Simply disconnect the coupler.

If the lighting coil output is good but the R/R output is not it might be reasonable to presume the R/R has been damaged.

Capiche?

Oh, surely you have checked the fuses?
    Last edited by boscoe99; 01-21-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Where is the fuse you speak of ?
      have only checked charge coil resistance br-r is .883 not 592-888

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Presuming that you have checked the output from the rectifier/regular and find that it is not meeting specifications then I would check the output of the lighting coil.

You don't need to remove the flywheel to check the lighting coil. The output leads from the lighting connect to the input leads to the R/R. Simply disconnect the coupler.

If the lighting coil output is good but the R/R output is not it might be reasonable to presume the R/R has been damaged.

Capiche?

Oh, surely you have checked the fuses?
        2 fuses I see look good, when you talk output, are you talking resistance and continuity ? lighting coil resistance is 0
        Last edited by scofflaw; 01-21-2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Peak voltage as it is listed in service manual

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Peak voltage as it is listed in service manual
            My manual says nothing about peak voltage. Resistance and cont. only.

What procedure are you recommending ?

Comment

dude
              your simply checking a coil of wire.
              resistance will be close to 0 ohms.
              check all 3 GREEN wires.
              GREEN wires are lighting(battery charging) coils.
              not the blue,red,brown and black/red leads.

as its a simple AC alternator you can also use the AC setting on your meter to check for lighting coil output.
              my bet is the rectifier assy smoked not the lighting coil.

Comment

So after doing the testing, lighting coil is working and putting out AC voltage.
                Rec/reg passes as well with diode testing. All 3 greens check identical off of ground and hot lead.

Put it all back together and now it's over charging in the 16 to 17 volt range at low rpm's.

Sooo, should I just replace the r/r ?

Comment

I want to use my boat until the new rec/reg shows up. It's overcharging

Where is the safest place to unplug something so I don't fry a battery or anything else ?

Comment

unplug the rectifier from the stator.

Comment

Working...
                    X