Bracket aka handle anode bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracket aka handle anode bolts

2005 F225 on a 2005 boat- has spent most of the past two years moored, was already bottom painted prior -
    so may have spent much of its life in the water

As far as I know, the bracket anode may be the original

So, needing a "winter project" - I decided to "go for the gusto" and replace it

In a surprising turn of events, ONE of the bolts did NOT shear,

and backed out, leaving useable threads

But the other three did not disappoint, losing their heads at the first turn of the wrench

I've hit them with the torch several times

and sprayed some PB Blaster - of course gravity is working against me, there

Thus far, I'm grabbing them with a double nut (leaving vicegrips in reserve...)

but no sign of movement.

So - any insights from those experienced with the scenario?

Recommendations?

I'm suspecting I may end up drilling & tapping new holes, between the broken bolts

and install the new anode with just two bolts, one on each side.....

Last edited by fairdeal; 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM.

In addition to what your doing, a couple of smacks with a hammer may help shock the corrosion / bolt loose...

I gather your heating around the aluminum, NOT the bolts?

Also, if available, with a small mig welder, weld a nut on the end of the broken stud. Between the heat, PB Blaster, gently, back and forth should do it.

DO disconnect the battery and ECU should you weld nuts to the studs. You don't want to fry any of the electronics.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

that's when the oxy/acetlyne rig comes into play.
      even though its not covered on the master tech exam.

Comment

happy ending

thanks, Scott & Rodbolt

a few rounds with the torch, and the PB Blaster, did the trick

no welding equipment here, but there was enough stump left for double nuts

(I was pleasantly surprised that the Blaster clearly worked against gravity -
        guess it "wicks" its way into the threads)

Anyway, doubtful that either I, or the rest of the motor, will last long enough to need to replace this anode again....

Comment

Glad you got it apart without MAJOR effort.

The PB Blaster, I've found, works better than liquid wrench etc and has saved my butt numerous times...

Just a side note, what I do with my large anode (same as yours), is occasionally, (either pull it off or right on the engine), take a wire wheel brush in a cordless drill and knock of the surface corrosion. Seems to allow that anode to last a little longer..

Safe boating!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X