15 MSH missing in lower cycilinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
    Boscoe you may be correct in my misunderstand torque in the way you describe.
    I do get very anxious when faced with a stated value and how that relates to the units described on my torque wrenches! I try not to worry, but I probably tend to overtighten ( to be sure the voice in my head says). I also from years of experience have an idea how much a bolt can take before it breaks, and how much a thread can take before it strips.
    I keep getting more and more voices in my head telling me to do all sorts of things!
    You and me both.

The stuff those voices are telling me now are completely different from what they were telling me when I was young. Strange that.

In my youth I was prone to over tightening fasteners. Now I struggle to work up the strength to get them to proper specifications. Those damn flywheel nuts can be a bitch. Some four stroke head bolts as well.

My mind says "you can do it". My joints are saying "like hell you will".

Comment

Boscoe where large torque required I use long tubes, so that the lb of the lb- ft is small.
      To loosen or tighten wheel nuts or towballs I use a two inch by 5 foot pipe on my 24 inch shifter and 18 inch half inch ratchet.
      I love seeing young blokes straining on relatively large tools and get nowhere when all I have to place a tiny weight on that 5 foot pole.
      It's amazing or surprising that you have so much better feel with such leverage, with no sudden releases and no smashed knuckles or torn muscles!

Comment

Thanks guys, for all this.
        Still waiting on my head gasket; delivery here is about three weeks from Miami.
        The torque of 12 whatever, coincides with what's in my service manual and the bolt sequence is there as well.

Not sure about the gasket goo available in this country but it's bound to be some cheap substitute so I guess I'll forego that and spend extra time in surface preparation.

Now, if only those head bolts will come out without snapping...

I'll be back!
        Bry

Comment

Working...
        X