2 stroke oil leaking bad (plz help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke oil leaking bad (plz help)

hey guys i am new to the boating scene and have just purchased a yamaha 225 beto, had it on the water 2 weeks in a row and ran fine. Last weekend we took it out to notice it blowing white smoke, as we stopped to check what was happening we noticed the 2 stoke oil running out the bottom of the motor, we babied it back to shore, popped the top off, pulled the cover off the carnies and seen it was just pissing out the carnies. Its like its meant to have some sort of regulator to allow the right amount of oil into the fuel but has stopped and now just free flows straight in. any advice what this could be would be muchly appreciated.

Carbies its meant to be

Comment

Sounds like the engine oil tank is over filling, pretty sure it's gonna be the float sensor in that tank, but, there are many threads on this forum about Yamaha oiling system, research Rodbolt, he has some terrific posts on this.

Comment

Originally posted by strudy123 View Post
        Carbies its meant to be
        My IPhone auto spell checker did that when I clearly wrote carbies !
        What are carnies anyway? My posts have many things changed when I don't watch it. Nothing to do with your engine but agree with probability that your oil tank overfills, the overflow is directed straight into the carbies intake, many have experienced this. A bit silly design to send the oil to foul the engine.
        I suppose consolation is the smoke alerted you to this fault; my failure was a complete nuisance allowing my engine only run rough and slowly.
        Of course it occurred after startup returning home from fishing several miles from home in rough seas!

Comment

When you get this fixed and you became paranoid about this reroute the overflow back to the remote tank so that you never reach the situation where you run out of oil, and that will destroy your engine. In the short term trying to fix this fault I temporarily put a switch in line so that I could turn the pump off.
          My use means a full engine tank would outlast a days use.
          There is always room to improve something's, but unfortunately one needs to know these things, often only finding out thru personal misadventure.

Comment

Fix the problem, fitting a switch to turn off the oil is about as bad a patch up job as you could think of.

Comment

Yes agreed, but you need to do something on the run before help arrived is a show of initiative in survival skills.
              In other words do you limp with oil rapidly running out or temporarily remove a fault that has nothing to do with the running of the engine, or do you let this fault ruin your holidays and your engine!

Comment

precision blend is so dirt simply stupid I don't understand why folks don't simply fix a dead reliable system and keep going.
                the line that runs from the engine tank to the airbox is simply a tank vent line.
                member folks its a liquid in a tank that the level has to go up and down so air has to be allowed in and out,preferably from a relatively clean spot.

don't worry,for some reason PBS still wipes out a lot of master tech test takers.

but it is a dirt simple system that even when it malfunctions will mostly trouble shoot itself if you have the correct tach.

Comment

Originally posted by strudy123 View Post
                  hey guys i am new to the boating scene and have just purchased a yamaha 225 beto, had it on the water 2 weeks in a row and ran fine. Last weekend we took it out to notice it blowing white smoke, as we stopped to check what was happening we noticed the 2 stoke oil running out the bottom of the motor, we babied it back to shore, popped the top off, pulled the cover off the carnies and seen it was just pissing out the carnies. Its like its meant to have some sort of regulator to allow the right amount of oil into the fuel but has stopped and now just free flows straight in. any advice what this could be would be muchly appreciated.
                  Congrats on the new boat!

Before you put more hours on it, consider it likely didn't get attention for some time before you purchased it. Boats will sit quite a while before owners escape the cost of storage.

I suggest going through your beto top to bottom and perform ALL routine service, especially water pump, carbs, thermostats and fluids. Then get near religious with recommended maintenance. To me this is a cheapest way to many trouble free trips.

I also suggest replacing the entire fuel system upstream of the motor. I struggled with carbs and with every use undid my work until I realized the fuel system was contaminated and rotted.

A good relationship with a certified Yamaha Master Tech is often much more economical than the alternatives.

Good luck and happy boating!

Comment

Working...
                  X