2009 F115 water in fuel- DYI ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 F115 water in fuel- DYI ?

our 2009 was running a little rough, and getting worse. Turns out the fuel cap was lost and it had rained.

Since it was time for annual service, I took it in. They called back.

As known water in fuel. They want to "clean the fuel system" but that does not include the gas tank, where there obviously is some water.

Change oil and filter. Service lower unit. Replace anodes (they are not near depletion yet)

they quoted me $2,639 I am thinking that is a wee bit steep, and since I am pretty handy, this can be a DYI....(especially since i have to clean my fuel tank anyway, apparently their insurance does not allow that).

I was thinking replacing the 10 micron fuel water separator. get fresh fuel supply (or clean tank) run on clean fuel and see how that transpires ?

are there other items that needs to be removed and cleaned ? injectors etc ?

Of course a new 10 micron filter, and the little paper element for the under-cowling filter.

If it were me, first step would be emptying the fuel tank:
    I would want to be able look down through the level sender mounting hole
    and confirm that it is absolutely bone dry.

Then drain/blow out all the hose pathway all the way to the VST.

I think I would avoid the work of removing the VST, instead use the drain plug to empty it of the "bad gas", followed by several "rinses" of fresh gas supplied via the primer bulb.
    I believe cycling key on/off will run the HP pump and circulate past the injectors/regulator/cooler etc.

But I would conclude by pulling the injectors & spend the ~$20 each for a "professional" service

Comment

All of what Fairdeal said, and make every effort to completely remove all the water and contaminated fuel from your system....or you may have continued issues going forward. My brother in laws grandson stuck the garden hose in the fuel fill on his F115 and they had problems on an on- going basis...plugged injector screens,etc.,etc....

Comment

I just drained my built in 50 gallon tank of 35 gallons. (Original tank, 1997 vintage,)

I have a transom filter/separator and I used the primer bulb to suck the tank dry THRU THE FILTER. It was obviously dry when I lost prime.

I use K100 as a fuel stabilizer which also keeps any water in suspension and burns it off.

Fuel Treatment, Fuel and Gas Additive | K-100 HOME ,
        http://k-100.com/videos/demonstration-videos/

I've used the K100 since re-powering with Non ethonol fuel. The fuel came out spotless and smelling new. 10 gallons wasn't maybe 4 months old, the rest about 3 years. (thus the reason for draining).

My neighbor bought the fuel for $1.80 gallon, used it up in his truck and filled his boat and ran it in his FI'ed 140 Suzuki which burns WAY MORE fuel than mine.

Point being, drain and flush as noted above, add the K100 and it should pick up any remaining water.

BTW, the Yamaha fuel gauge is dead nuts on, 25 gallons show's exactly a half tank, one bar being 5 gallons as well...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          I just drained my built in 50 gallon tank of 35 gallons.

10 gallons wasn't maybe 4 months old, the rest about 3 years. (thus the reason for draining).
          Sounds like you need to be running that boat a lot more than you have been last few years if you had 3 year old gas in it

Draining a tank through the pick up tube will not get all of the free water out from the bottom of a tank.
          They are designed not to go to the very bottom of tank. close but not all the way.
          It is OK to drain all you can that way, but then the rest needs to be removed if there is free water.
          I am not saying you had free water in your tank, just that if others are having problems with water in their tank, they need to go farther than what you did
          Last edited by 99yam40; 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Sounds like you need to be running that boat a lot more than you have been last few years if you had 3 year old gas in it

Draining a tank through the pick up tube will not get all of the free water out from the bottom of a tank.
            They are designed not to go to the very bottom of tank. close but not all the way.
            It is OK to drain all you can that way, but then the rest needs to be removed if there is free water.
            I am not saying you had free water in your tank, just that if others are having problems with water in their tank, they need to go farther than what you did
            Agreed with all points 100%.

Unfortunately, access to my tank is limited to the fuel gauge. To see/access any further, the entire center console has to come out, the seats, and the floor (approx 3.5' x 5'), a major PIA.

As noted, the K100 will NOT leave water on the bottom of the tank. It will mix and stay mixed. NOTE, if you have two cups of water in the tank, you need two cups of K100.

My neighbor ran that fuel in both his truck and Sazuki W/O issue. Actually, the truck ran a little better with the RF in it.

I just replaced my water separator yesterday and under cowl filter. A little bit of crap but NO water(again, it stays mixed).
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X