Fuel/water separator replacement troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel/water separator replacement troubles

ok, so I replaced my fuel/water separator filter assembly which was corroded with a new one and also added a little length to one of my 5/16 fuel hose going to the port engine. The fuel/water separator assembly has two exit ports so it can furnish clean fuel to two engines (F115 in this case). After securing the assembly and tightening the hose clamps for all along with the single plug for the second inlet port on the assembly I quite for the day. A week later I came back to start the engines (boat is out of the water at the moment) to warm oil a bit before changing it. Neither engines would start or even engage. Battery was ok as I could trim engines ok. My deduction was there was some sort of fuel sensor that showed no fuel in the line. My question is my deduction correct? I disconnected the fuel supply like to the fuel filter on one of the engines to check fuel flow. I was clearly not able to pull fuel with a simple turkey baster. I tried pumping the squeeze pumps on the fuel line but they did not seem to be pushing enough fuel. I'm looking for some hints on simple ways to test if I have air leaks. My next move is to put a hand pump on the fuel line at the engine and see if I can pull fuel through the filter assembly from the fuel tank. I know I have fuel so that is not an issue.
    Any ideas are welcome from the experienced yamaha/outboard folks.
    Thanks,
    Michael

To save you some time, I know the guru's on this site will want the full model numbers of your engines as well as an explanation of what "or even engage" means. Your next sentence after that comment seems to imply that neither motor will turn over when you turn the key to start them and thus your comment about checking the battery. I can tell you that there is no fuel related issue that will prevent your motor's from turning over when you turn the ignition key - so it is likely that you are looking at an electrical issue. Does your starter motor "engage" and turn the engine over? Or do you just get nothing when you turn the key or perhaps just a series of clicks?

Answering these questions may help get you on the right track for help on this site.

Comment

I get nothing, no clicking sound like you might have from a starter solenoid etc. Perhaps one next option is to put the charger on the batteries and make sure I have a good charge before trying to crank them again. When I turn the switch I get the tone from the systems as normal and then it goes off. As I turn the switch to crank the engine it is dead, nothing. Now, to be clear when I say engage, I mean there is nothing coming from the engines and I tried them both so like you say it does imply something electrical perhaps and battery charge could be issue. I'm working on a list of actions when I return to the boat this coming weekend. My place is at Grand Isle, LA and I live in Baton Rouge so my weekends are my time with the boat, water, and trying to put fish in the cooler. All this work is to make sure all is ship/shape for spring when we go fishing inshore and offshore.
      Really appreciate all the folks with more experience than me for helping out with ideas and logical thoughts around these Yamaha engines. Most of my experience on water has been sailing so engines were not used that much, just in and out of harbor.
      Thanks to all,

Michael

Comment

Is there a chance that the shift lever is not in neutral? If so, it will give the same effect as a dead battery.

Comment

Captain Bob,

That goes on the list as #1 to check, it certainly could be and would be the simple explanation to it all.

I'll take any others offered for my action list!!

Thanks

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by michbarr View Post
            I get nothing, no clicking sound like you might have from a starter solenoid etc. Perhaps one next option is to put the charger on the batteries and make sure I have a good charge before trying to crank them again. When I turn the switch I get the tone from the systems as normal and then it goes off. As I turn the switch to crank the engine it is dead, nothing. Now, to be clear when I say engage, I mean there is nothing coming from the engines and I tried them both so like you say it does imply something electrical perhaps and battery charge could be issue. I'm working on a list of actions when I return to the boat this coming weekend. My place is at Grand Isle, LA and I live in Baton Rouge so my weekends are my time with the boat, water, and trying to put fish in the cooler. All this work is to make sure all is ship/shape for spring when we go fishing inshore and offshore.
            Really appreciate all the folks with more experience than me for helping out with ideas and logical thoughts around these Yamaha engines. Most of my experience on water has been sailing so engines were not used that much, just in and out of harbor.
            Thanks to all,

Michael
            Changing fuel filter doesn't screw up the electrical system. Put a voltmeter on the batteries - if you don't have one buy one - its an essential part of a boat tool kit. So with good batteries, check if the batteries are ON, then check accessories (turn them on) to ensure there's nothing wrong with the switch, shifter in neutral, kill switch inserted, try cranking it.

Comment

Thanks tj
              have voltmeter etc. will, put you items on my weekend check list.
              Will report next week folks.

Michael

Comment

After four years of boat ownership I found myself on the ramp with my sister and nephews struggling to get it fired up. After a good long head banging I realized the kill lanyard was dangling free.

Comment

As noted, the fuel won't affect cranking/spinning over, period.

One issue at a time. For priming, make sure the PRIMER BULB is FACING upwards (the arrow). IT does make a difference.

You can also (to help eliminate the air in the filter), simply add fuel to the filter separator BEFORE installing.

If you have a Perko (or similar) on/off / dual battery switch, check that as well.
                  A bad connection in there would affect it and also check, as in R&R all grounds to the battery, engine, etc. Just looking doesn't count, corrosion hides underneath often..

It also would hurt to get the batteries LOAD TESTED (Walmart, auto parts store, etc) and inspect closely the battery terminal ends..

And check your fuses, just for S&G's...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post
                    After four years of boat ownership I found myself on the ramp with my sister and nephews struggling to get it fired up. After a good long head banging I realized the kill lanyard was dangling free.
                    been there done that - embarrassing!

Comment

Wasn't embarrassing but it was disconcerting for me.

When I was fairly new with my boat I was about 20 miles out *****ing for king mackeral. Got one on the line so I turned the motor off using the key switch. Got the fish on board. Turned the key to start the motor. Nothing.

My heart raced. Thoughts of drifting further to sea and other bad ideas crossed my mind. After fumbling around for a few minutes I discovered the throttle was still in forward gear.

Whew. She started right up. What a relief.

Comment

Had my two boys and a friend of theirs just off the beach on a calm day catching sharks many years ago. Went to start up but would not fire .
                        messed with it for awhile but was drifting into the beach.So Just pointed into the waves the best i could and jumped out when we got to where the waves were breaking at the 3rd sand bar. waves were not very big so i just waded the boat back around to the mouth of the river and pulled it up in calm water.
                        caught a ride with someone back to boat ramp up the river and brought truck & trailer to the mouth of river driving down the beach to back in a load up. It was past dark when i got home and the wife was ready to kill me for staying out so late
                        Next day I check to see what was wrong and it was the kill switch had gotten knocked loose.

These things make you look at the most logical things 1st from then on

Comment

I have never made such silly mistakes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Wasn't embarrassing but it was disconcerting for me.

When I was fairly new with my boat I was about 20 miles out *****ing for king mackeral. Got one on the line so I turned the motor off using the key switch. Got the fish on board. Turned the key to start the motor. Nothing.

My heart raced. Thoughts of drifting further to sea and other bad ideas crossed my mind. After fumbling around for a few minutes I discovered the throttle was still in forward gear.

Whew. She started right up. What a relief.
                            Definitely been there and done that...once!....that queasy feeling when you turn the key and get a big "nothing" is a great reminder for future operations!...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                              .......that queasy feeling when you turn the key and get a big "nothing" is a great reminder for future operations!...
                              Especially when the surf is pounding in one ear and you see waves breaking over a jetty out of the corner of your eye. Don't ask me how I learned of that feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X