X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130BETO limps when hitting a wave

Hi

First time poster so please be kind.

I have a 2000 model 130Hp Yamaha (130BETO) that drops power when we hit a wave….
    Engine alarm will go off and all three flashing lights on the oil gauge will go off…I’ll throttle back to low rev’s.. engine alarm will turn off and we can start going at high speed again.

I’ve recently had the Carb’s done so am thinking it might be the oil filter in the premix box.
    I noticed today that the oil reservoir in the engine is only half full and would have thought that it should always be full (but could be wrong on this)

Question I had was.. does the engine alarm only monitor temp and Oil level.. or will the buzzer also go off if the engine coughs and splutters if a carby goes

Also.. is there anything else I should look at that might cause this problem

Thanks in advance

I hope someone with the proper knowledge come to help, but in the mean time, it sound like a bad connection to me.
    the flashing display may mean it lost voltage

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

Also forgot to mention... I had a mechanic check all the connections when it first happened and they seemed good (not my usual mechanic so am unsure if he is any good or not)

Also I changed out the fuel filter as well..

One theory I heard was that there might be "gunk" in the carby fuel bowl's that gets stirred up when I hit a wave.. but i don't think this would set off the oil alarm.

Yamaha manual says that the blocking of the oil filter will set off the alarm, but if it was this then I'm unsure why it would go off when i hit a wave (unless there is a float valve in the engine bottle that gets knocked into the "low position" suddenly when its close to empty)

Thought i would consult this brains trust before i start ripping everything apart...

Comment

my guess is the remote oil tank filter is clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          my guess is the remote oil tank filter is clogged.
          am thinking the same thing.. will give it a go and report back once I get the boat out again

Thanks again for the quick responses

Comment

looks like that little filter might have been the issue..

I replaced that little filter and cleaned out both oil bottles... todays run in a messy sea was faultless (apart from one guage failing)

its good to have full rev's again!!!!

Thanks again for all your helpo=

Comment

Looks like I still have the issue…. I took it out for a proper fish and the oil level alarm goes off when I hit a decent wave

When I tested the two sensors in the oil tanks, I found the oil sensor in the main reservoir only indicates if the oil level was full, or half full i.e three to two bars showing on the tacho
              Where as the sensor in the engine bottle sets off the alarm when its empty

Does this sound right?

I’m thinking that if this is the case, I might replace the engine sensor in case its faulty as the alarm is going off
              (I ran a diagnostic on it and it seemed to work fine before…. but maybe the knock from a wave makes it wonkey when im on the water)

FYI: when the engine alarm goes off I turn off the battery and shut everything down,, checking the engine reservoir shows it pretty much full.. so I’m thinking there is nothing wrong with the pump

Comment

me thinks you need to understand how this stupidly simple system works.

I have beat this horse to death.

to start with there are NO sensors in the oil or overheat on that motor.

the oil system has 4 switch's.

on or off.

in the engine tank there are 3 switchs.
                SW1 turns the transfer pump off.
                SW2 turns the transfer pump on.
                SW3 is the second pump on command,sets the audible,sets RPM reduction and sets the far left visual indicate on the tach.

if you see all 3 bars flashing the ecu (oil control module) saw SW3 closed,low engine oil level and SWB closed (sufficient oil in the remote tank) so you get an audible all three bars flash and the transfer pump turns on for up to 180 seconds.
                if SWB opens,low remote level, you get a center bar or yellow lamp.

Comment

Comment

Boscoe
                    it is NOT a sensor it is a SWITCH.
                    the translation from Japanese to English got jiggled a bit.
                    these switch's DO not give constant varying readings.
                    they are either ON or OFF.
                    just like a light switch that does not use a dimmer control.

a sensor implies a varying feed back with changes to levels or pressures ect ect.

this system uses a simple switch, on or off.

I don't think the 130 2 stroke used a battery alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      Boscoe
                      it is NOT a sensor it is a SWITCH.
                      the translation from Japanese to English got jiggled a bit.
                      these switch's DO not give constant varying readings.
                      they are either ON or OFF.
                      just like a light switch that does not use a dimmer control.

a sensor implies a varying feed back with changes to levels or pressures ect ect.

this system uses a simple switch, on or off.

I don't think the 130 2 stroke used a battery alarm.
                      You could be right about the 130 2 stroke battery alarm. I don't know for sure. Won't argue that one.

We gotta agree to disagree on the switch being used as a sensor however.

The oil gauge assembly as I see it, and as Yamaha sees it, is that it is a sensor. A sensor containing three switches which sense the oil level in the tank. My tongue has taste buds all over it. I use those taste buds to sense the saltiness of something. Like the sensor assembly uses switches to sense the oil level.

From the inner web

Magnetic sensors[edit]
                      In addition to their use in reed relays, reed switches are widely used for electrical circuit control, particularly in the communications field.
                      Reed switches actuated by magnets are commonly used in mechanical systems as proximity sensors. Examples are door and window sensors in burglar alarm systems and tamperproofing methods (however they can be disabled by a strong, external magnetic field). Reed switches are used in modern laptops to put the laptop on sleep/hibernation mode when the lid is closed. Speed sensors on bicycle wheels and car gears use a reed switch to actuate briefly each time a magnet on the wheel passes the sensor. Reed switches were formerly used in the keyboards for computer terminals, where each key had a magnet and a reed switch actuated by depressing the key; cheaper switches are now used. Electric and electronic pedal keyboards used by pipe organ and Hammond organ players often use reed switches, where the glass enclosure of the contacts protects them from dirt, dust, and other particles. They may also be used to control diving equipment such as flashlights or camera, which must be sealed to keep pressurized water out.
                      At one time brushless DC electric motors used reed switches to sense the rotor's position relative to the field poles.[2] This allows switching transistors to act as a commutator, but without the contact problems, wear and electrical noise of a traditional DC commutator. The motor design could also be 'inverted', placing permanent magnets onto the rotor and switching the field through the external, fixed coils. This avoided the need for any rubbing contact to provide power to the rotor. Such motors were used in low-power long-service-life items such as computer cooling fans and disk drives. As cheap Hall effect sensors became available, they replaced the reed switches and gave longer service lifetimes.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        You could be right about the 130 2 stroke battery alarm. I don't know for sure. Won't argue that one.

We gotta agree to disagree on the switch being used as a sensor however.

The oil gauge assembly as I see it, and as Yamaha sees it, is that it is a sensor. A sensor containing three switches which sense the oil level in the tank. My tongue has taste buds all over it. I use those taste buds to sense the saltiness of something. Like the sensor assembly uses switches to sense the oil level.

From the inner web

Magnetic sensors[edit]
                        In addition to their use in reed relays, reed switches are widely used for electrical circuit control, particularly in the communications field.
                        Reed switches actuated by magnets are commonly used in mechanical systems as proximity sensors. Examples are door and window sensors in burglar alarm systems and tamperproofing methods (however they can be disabled by a strong, external magnetic field). Reed switches are used in modern laptops to put the laptop on sleep/hibernation mode when the lid is closed. Speed sensors on bicycle wheels and car gears use a reed switch to actuate briefly each time a magnet on the wheel passes the sensor. Reed switches were formerly used in the keyboards for computer terminals, where each key had a magnet and a reed switch actuated by depressing the key; cheaper switches are now used. Electric and electronic pedal keyboards used by pipe organ and Hammond organ players often use reed switches, where the glass enclosure of the contacts protects them from dirt, dust, and other particles. They may also be used to control diving equipment such as flashlights or camera, which must be sealed to keep pressurized water out.
                        At one time brushless DC electric motors used reed switches to sense the rotor's position relative to the field poles.[2] This allows switching transistors to act as a commutator, but without the contact problems, wear and electrical noise of a traditional DC commutator. The motor design could also be 'inverted', placing permanent magnets onto the rotor and switching the field through the external, fixed coils. This avoided the need for any rubbing contact to provide power to the rotor. Such motors were used in low-power long-service-life items such as computer cooling fans and disk drives. As cheap Hall effect sensors became available, they replaced the reed switches and gave longer service lifetimes.
                        Yes, just language what you say is not sensorless

Comment

A thermistor can be a sensor.

A potentiometer can be a sensor.

A pressure transducer can be a sensor.

Why can't a switch be a sensor?

Prince is dead and I don't feel so well myself.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            A thermistor can be a sensor.

A potentiometer can be a sensor.

A pressure transducer can be a sensor.

Why can't a switch be a sensor?

Prince is dead and I don't feel so well myself.
                            Is the subject "switch" really a switch? what does it switch to where? Electrical signals maybe, it doesn't switch oil to anywhere. Maybe just makes "on" contact otherwise stays "off".

Sensors can be anything, work in any way our engineering imagination can take us. They just direct information in the form we can make sense of, or make practical use of. Oil is or has been detected in many ways: sight glass, see through tube, metal disc to light bulb, piezo to electrical output, pressure tube to a chamber with a dial attached, etc.etc.

Comment

if the motor has a fever shut it off and check the water intakes for obstruction.

a direct quote from an MTG.

a switch is a discrete device.

a switch is either on or off, high or low.

a sensor implys a varying feed back like your fuel level guage.

unlike the level indicate for the oil tank.

that level will show full all the way up until bingo.

Comment

Working...
                              X