Yamaha 40 solenoid/ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 40 solenoid/ignition

The solenoid tested ok, so I put it back in checked all the connections and found that the inline fuse all though not showing blown was faulty I put in a new fuse and the engine cranked without the key just by making the connection at the fuse. I then thought the ignition might be the problem so I have the whole ignition and kill switch disconnected and the engine still cranks when I make the connection at the inline fuse.
    What can be going on ???

Thanks Jimmy

Jimmy,
    The starter gets it's voltage from the starter relay. The starter relay will apply 12 volts to the starter when it's pull-in coil gets 12 volt command from the ignition/start switch - that is how it is suppose to work.
    Check the starter relay coil for 12 volts - if there is no voltage there and the starter is still getting power, then you have a bad starter relay. If there is 12 volts on the coil, then the relay is doing it's job and the 12 volt command is comming from somewhere .
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

corrosion or a pinched main harness ??try to break the main harness connection at motor and see if the prob still exists.

Comment

Working...
      X