Lower Unit Won't Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Won't Seat

I have a 2018 150XB outboard. Just completed annual pm including a new water pump kit and pump housing. Was in neutral when the lower unit removed and came off without issue. Did not bump shift shaft. Now I can't get the lower unit back on and seat. Have a 3/4" gap I can't close. Best I can tell with 2 sets of eyes is everything is lined up. What am I missing? How can I tell if shifter is still in neutral? Prop shaft will spin in both directions and drive shaft moves with it.

You sort of answered your own question If the driveshaft is spinning, it's not in neutral. Move the shift shaft back to neutral. Other than that, make sure everything else is lining up properly as you slide it up. If it's not going in, something is not aligned properly.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

What is the best way to do that? Tried by hand with a rag and wouldn't budge. Vice grips and a rag below the splines? I assume if they spin individually not together, it is then in neutral? Had it backwards.

Comment

Wiggle the prop as you try shift it back to neutral. Yes, a rag and pliers may be needed - but it shouldn't be THAT hard.

Comment

Thanks Dennis, got the lower unit back to neutral and it still wouldn't go. As my son was holding the unit and me trying see if it was lined up, I noticed the throttle was just out of neutral. As soon as I bumped it back. my son yelled he got it to seat. Lesson for the day "measure twice, cut once". Not sure when or why but that's my story.

Comment

Originally posted by Medik411 View Post
            Not sure when or why but that's my story.
            And, truthfully, it doesn't matter when/why. You got it back on and all is good again!

Comment

Working...
            X