Water In Fuel Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water In Fuel Sensor?

Just wondering... the grey thing, just to the right of the fuel bulb... is that the "water in fuel" sensor?

2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

that's the fuel flow sensor.
    there were two designs of water detect.
    one used a sensor in the water separator canister or bowl.
    the other used since about 2006/7 on EFI fourstrokes and all HPDI is in the engine mounted fuel cup.
    draw back to the 05 and up water detects, it ONLY works if the gear is in neutral.
    in gear it simply does nothing until enough water builds up and the engine quits.
    dumb but hey, I did not design it.

Comment

"fuel flow", as in GPH? Thanks!

If I'm understanding correctly, since my engine is a '00, the water in fuel sensor is in the engine-mounted fuel/water separator (the one with the red, floating, plastic ring)?

Yeah, that sure is strange that the newer style only works in neutral!

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

If I'm understanding correctly, since my engine is a '00, the water in fuel sensor is in the engine-mounted fuel/water separator (the one with the red, floating, plastic ring)?
        Yepper, when that ring starts floating, that's water under in there. Mines the same...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Oh, now I understand. For some reason I thought there was some type of electrical sensor for Fuel In Water. But it's just the floating ring (I didn't recall any wires going to the on-engine filter)? That's cool if that's all it is - I just wanted to double check.

Comment

Oh, now I understand. For some reason I thought there was some type of electrical sensor for Fuel In Water. But it's just the floating ring (I didn't recall any wires going to the on-engine filter)? That's cool if that's all it is - I just wanted to double check.
            Yep Dennis. My 06 I think was the last year with NO electrical and that's fine. My cup is about $10.00. The newer, electrical ones (with sensor) are over $100.00

I have a water separator before the engine anyway so the Yamaha filter stays "dry". You could put the same on yours but have to change out the filter for one with a cup. Under deck, I believe, you can't use a plastic-see thru.

I use K100 and don't ever collect any water in either filter. It keeps any moisture mixed with the fuel (in the tank) and burns off with normal operation..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-26-2015, 08:06 PM.
            Scott

Comment

best I recall you can use plastic under the deck as long as its not in an engine compartment.
              be aware that with E fuels that red rig tends NOT to float when water is in the cup.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                best I recall you can use plastic under the deck as long as its not in an engine compartment.
                be aware that with E fuels that red rig tends NOT to float when water is in the cup.
                Interesting!

I don't use E fuel anyway and the transom mount (and engine) has never had water (very visible as mounted) at the bottom (nice and clear), no separation.

I guess that's why they went to the electric sensor on the newer models...
                Scott

Comment

Yes, that sounds right regarding plastic and being OK for underdeck if no engine. Or, at least, that's the best that I can recall, too!

I will likely do just that - replace the filter for one with a cup - someday. So far, for a couple seasons the fuel has been super clean anytime I check and/or drain some out (I'm religious with the use of RF Plus and Startron).

I would never have guessed that the red ring won't float in e-gas!

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Yes, that sounds right regarding plastic and being OK for underdeck if no engine. Or, at least, that's the best that I can recall, too!

I will likely do just that - replace the filter for one with a cup - someday. So far, for a couple seasons the fuel has been super clean anytime I check and/or drain some out (I'm religious with the use of RF Plus and Startron).

I would never have guessed that the red ring won't float in e-gas!

Thanks, guys!
                    not sure but I think he was indicating it may not float some times in E fuel , probably something to do with the E soaking up the water. Combined changing the SG not just water

Comment

Working...
                    X