Need help w/ motor ID and basic info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/ motor ID and basic info

Need help identifying the model number for a 'new to me' outboard. It's a 90HP Yamaha 3-cylinder / 2-stroke engine, oil injected from an 'under the cover' reservoir, and has a rather bluish/gray color to it (like the pic), and it says 'Inshore' on the side of the motor cover. I have no idea what year it is, and there is no ID on it anywhere that I can see other than what I have stated, and it does say 90 on the back of the motor cover. I also found a pic of a similar motor on the internet, so I'm posting that. But, wanting to add that info to my records on boat/motor for future reference. And, I also need a new prop for the motor. I'd like to know what props were generally used with this motor on a boat like I have. Boat is 1997 Sea Hunt 17' Center Console. I don't have a lot of 'specs' on boat either, but plan to get them this coming week as well. Any help here with engine model number and/or Prop info would be helpful. I did remove the prop, and expecting to find some numbers on the back thrust side, I found a lot of wear, and no numbers. I think there might have been something there once upon a time, as I might see the remanence of a '3'...but that's about it! OK, thanks all! WC

Just realized I hadn't 'subscribed' to my own post, so I wouldn't have received any notifications of responses. I just changed that in my 'settings' and now posting this so I will receive any further responses. Thx!

Comment

look at the pic you posted,
      can you see that sticker on the motor bracket?
      your motor should have one like that also on each side of the motor giving the model and serial number on one side
      and date of manufacture on the other
      where is this motor and you located if not in the USA.
      If all ID info is missing, where did you get this motor, can you ask the people you got it from what it is?
      and did you get any paperwork when you got the motor.

when thieves steal motors they tend to remove ID info, so I would not buy if there is no ID info on them.
      but that is just me, I hate thieves.

Comment

The 'kid' I bought the boat from purchased it 7 years ago....... when he was 15!! He's a pretty responsible young guy, and only sold it to me because he found a 'deal' on a bigger/better boat! (you know, like we all do!!!) Anyway, no 'theft' involved here, just wear and degradation. Stickers were probably blown off when power-washing the boat after use. In any event, they're gone. I dare say that most of the ones I've seen on boat motors of this age are pretty much deteriorated to the point of being illegible anyway. I'm only interested because I know that parts are generally sold by make/model/serial number. Two out of three is better than one. I doubt there's any way to resurrect the serial number, and I probably wouldn't need it for most parts that I'd ever buy. But, the basic model, like my F250 on my other boat..... that's all I'm really looking for. I was honestly surprised that an internet search of over an hour didn't turn up anything!!.....but it didn't. I'm assuming that the 'InShore' aspect of this motor may have some significance as far as perhaps some of the parts used. I know I had an old Johnson 115 'OffShore' model that used some stainless parts where the standard 115 just had hardened steel. So, assuming something like that is going on with this motor. Maybe not..... I dunno! But, I figure that picture will trigger some knowledgeable person's memory of just what the model designation would be.....and that's would be a help. So.... still looking!!

Thanks!!

Comment

I do not see how showing a pic of a motor that is not yours will help.
          look on the motor next to the starter for a round sticker with a number.
          also look on the CDI for numbers/ letters and post up what you find.
          Boscoe99 should be able to help if you give that info.

if you click on the Yamaha parts at the top of the page, you should get most of the Model number, but the year will need that other info

My C40TLRX is a 1999 motor and it still has all of its ID stickers, it has lived in saltwater.
          they do not just fall off.
          someone would need to try hard to remove them all so it could not be identified
          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-25-2024, 08:02 PM.

Comment

It will help because these motors 'typically' have a consistent model number...... just like my current F250. I might even guess that your C40LRX might be akin to this motor, which might be something like a C90 ***? Someone more familiar with older Yamaha motors like this might know. Show me a picture of an old Yamaha XS650 motorcycle and I can tell you if it's a C, a D, a B, or any of 7 or 8 different sub-models. I know XS650s...... I know Harley Davidsons...... I do NOT know old Yamaha Outboards!! But, I'm sure someone does..... just looking for that person!!

Comment

So many words. So little information.

So the round sticker with numbers on it that was on the block is gone.

The markings on the carburetor are all gone.

The markings on the CDI assembly are all gone.

At least we know that it is Yamaha bluish/gray.

Comment

Originally posted by Wharfcreek View Post
                It will help because these motors 'typically' have a consistent model number...... just like my current F250. I might even guess that your C40LRX might be akin to this motor, which might be something like a C90 ***? Someone more familiar with older Yamaha motors like this might know. Show me a picture of an old Yamaha XS650 motorcycle and I can tell you if it's a C, a D, a B, or any of 7 or 8 different sub-models. I know XS650s...... I know Harley Davidsons...... I do NOT know old Yamaha Outboards!! But, I'm sure someone does..... just looking for that person!!
                From 2006 onward Yamaha models are consistent. Somewhat. Sorta. Kinda.

From 1984 thru 2005 Yamaha models vary. Based on the year.

There is no Yamaha F250 outboard motor. There are many different Yamaha models that begin with F250. There is always something more that follows just the stroke type and the HP value.

Comment

did you look at the Yamaha parts at the top of the page yet?
                  you should notice it should start out with a B.

but someone may have put a cowling off a different motor on there, so you cannot depend on the cowling
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 02-25-2024, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Mr. 99yam40, While I appreciate your ongoing commentary, you're NOT being very helpful! In fact, you're coming off as being quite condescending! And, frankly, I do NOT appreciate that!! So, simply put, all I'm looking for here is for someone to take a look at that picture and simply say something to the effect of: ".... oh, that looks like an old C90LRB!' or something like that. I don't need the anything more, including the insinuation that I'm an idiot for knowing more about this!! So, thanks for nothing.......and please refrain from any further derogatory comments!! Thanks!!

Comment

OK let put together what we have said so far.

according to your cowling it is an Inshore 90HP

If you look at the parts link at the top of the page,
                      As I said it will tell you Inshore would start with a B.
                      So B90
                      if it has power tilt and trim and electric start it would be a T
                      if power tilt and electric start a P

next is shaft length S,L,U, or X
                      after that it is either remote control R or Tiller H

and then you need a year which you and the rest of us have no idea of

but if you get the info off the motor we mentioned I bet boscoe99 can tell you the year

Comment

Mr. 99yam40, While I appreciate your ongoing commentary, you're NOT being very helpful! In fact, you're coming off as being quite condescending! And, frankly, I do NOT appreciate that!! So, simply put, all I'm looking for here is for someone to take a look at that picture and simply say something to the effect of: ".... oh, that looks like an old C90LRB!' or something like that. I don't need the anything more, including the insinuation that I'm an idiot for knowing more about this!! So, thanks for nothing.......and please refrain from any further derogatory comments!! Thanks!!
                        oh, that looks like an old B90TLR*.

Comment

No one here is insinuating that you are an idiot. None of us need to do that. You are doing well enough on your own.

Comment

People are trying to help, so far nothing has been posted by you that will help identify this motor, no one can see the motor, the ONLY info we can go on is what you tell us, that said, I find it difficult to believe that ALL numbers are missing from all parts, possible, but very slim, unless they were removed on purpose. No one can identify your motor from a picture of another motor.

Comment

Yam99, that post #11 up there is pretty much exsctly what I needed to know. Had you simply opened with that I'd have said ".. Great...thanks!!" and that would have been it. Done, gone, thank you very much!! Its this petty 'slam' crap like Bosco's closing comment above that is just so damn stupid and unnecessary! Chocolate syrup for brains I guess!! Anyway, thanks for for the help.. I'll leave you guys alone now!!

Comment

Working...
                              X