Disconnecting fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnecting fuel line

I was reading owners manual for my 89 200hp and it says to disconnect the quick connector for the fuel line after each use. I have never done that which probably explains why I have to crank for long time to start. Fuel draining back. What do others do?
    I would think disconnecting after every use would wear the o-ring on the quick disconnect out over time.....
    No real harm in a bit of extra cranking to start is the way I look at it....

Well, you really don't want extra cranking as it wears your starter, though.

But, no, you shouldn't have to disconnect every time - I've never done that in all my years and don't really know of anyone that does (maybe some do?).

If you have the fuel bulb properly aligned then the check valve in there "should" prevent drain back - at leas if it's not an excessive amount of time since last use.. However, it's easy enough to just give it a couple squeezes before cranking to e sure.

If you have the bulb in the right orientation, then it might be going bad.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I unhook mine after flushing and washing down at home.
      but it is just a 6-gallon tank, and I do not want the tank sitting in the sun, so I put it in the garage.
      boat sits in driveway and gets plenty of sun.

Comment

if the motor is carbed, the fuel evaporates out of the carb bowls while sitting.
        So it is a good idea to pump the primer bulb a few times before cranking up.
        I do not think the injected motors need that.

Comment

This comes from the “old days” when fuel tanks had a manual vent you had to open before use, if closed and left in the sun, and the motor was tilted up (typical storage) the fuel would continue to flow through the carbs, the float wouldn’t seal the needle off because it was tilted, leaving a heap of fuel under the cowl from flooding.

Comment

Working...
          X