No announcement yet.

2000 90TJRY Tilt & Trim Drifts Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any o-ring should fit at least snugly or it'll leak.

Its NOT uncommon for a part to only go on/in ONE WAY. Did you try it in each direction, one way being a definite no-go?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Unfortunately this seat can fit into the housing either way. The features I see on the seat are a depression where I think the ball on the other part would sit and a ring on the opposite end looks like it may be a sealing surface.

Although, I am not 100% certain my conclusion is correct.
      Last edited by Dusty-Pants; 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty-Pants View Post
        Unfortunately this seat can fit into the housing either way. The features I see on the seat are a depression where I think the ball on the other part would sit and a ring on the opposite end looks like it may be a sealing surface.

Although, I am not 100% certain my conclusion is correct.
        Can you tell which way the fluid flows as probably, the fluid flows against the ball and the spring is behind it(to let excess pressure bleed off)?

(I'm guesstimating here....)
        Scott

Comment

I am not sure if Rodbolt can see the pic and I tried to figure out a way to in-bed the pic so it shows up without having to open it.
          But my computer skills are not good enough.

I am sure if Rod could see it he could answer your question

Comment

Here ya go:

"Marco" Rodbolt!

Scott

Comment

Great, I was trying to do that and could not get it....THANKS!!!

Comment

Great, I was trying to do that and could not get it....THANKS!!!
                "Snip it", save it and then off to Photobucket.

Then post here....
                Scott

Comment

Ahh, Photobucket gives you the url to insert image....correct?

I had the snip and save part but could not get that into the thread.

Comment

Ahh, Photobucket gives you the url to insert image....correct?

I had the snip and save part but could not get that into the thread.
                    Once you have the pic in your computer pictures, go to Photobucket.

Pick a file(I used misc for this one), then click upload on PB, and click on your picture/snip.

It'll then upload to PB.

Then down below, there's 6 options to copy. Use the 5th one down, "IMG". Copy and paste that on your post here, walla!

Now if you delete that image on PB, it "goes away" EVERYWHERE..
                    Scott

Comment

Judging by the other seat orientation in the up valve assembly, the picture shows the correct orientation. YEAH!!

In the reservior side, the up relief spring plate is held in by two screws. They appear to be coated with something like teflon, does anyone know the purpose of the coating or why it is not just a regular black oxide finish like the screws in the motor side of the unit?

Comment

Unit is back together and all components torqued, no extra pieces... YEAH!

I decided not to replace the tilt cylinder end cap seal and O-ring since there are no instructions for tilt piston reassembly in the Yamaha service manual. I will cross that bridge if needed in the future. If anyone has instructions on how to reassemble this I would be interested in seeing them.

I was extremely nervous about filling the reservoir and bleeding the air but it all went smoothly and the unit functions and sounds as expected on the bench. I tried leaning on the tilt ram and could not get it to bleed down, but my 100 pounds of force is nothing compared to the 1000 pounds or so of force the ram should exert.

I hope to install on the engine in the next couple weeks for the final test. Fingers are crossed!

All in all I would say this is not an exercise to be taken lightly. It is a time consuming and meticulous operation the requires paying very close attention to detail while working in a very clean area.

Cost of all replacement parts was about $200, the service manual about $100 additional. I made my own spanner wrenches which saved about $100. My estimated savings is about $600 by doing this myself, if my time is worth nothing.

It did give me something to do over the winter, next year I'll read a few books instead : )
                        Last edited by Dusty-Pants; 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Please post back the final results.
                          Scott

Comment

Engine is back together and after a day on the water the trim held while under power. Now I can watch where I am going instead of watching the GPS and trim gage LOL.

Also, the tilt holds while fishing so I should be able to boat more smallies

Thanks for all your help!

Happy boating and fishing!!

Comment

Working...
                            X