Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 25hp wiring help

Hi people,
    would anyone please help with setting up a starter key and a stop button?
    I just got a 25hp NWC it’s electric and pull start, and it’s set up for remote start and stop, it has a tiller arm too, I want to use it solely as a tiller. it has the 7 pin harness coming out of the motor but no stop button or key start on the motor. How do I set this up to have a key start and stop button?
    do I need to buy a harness that connects to the harness coming out of the motor and make a little panel with a key and stop button? I’ve been looking to buy a pre-made panel but none are set up with a plug to go straight in to the harness coming out of the motor.
    the motor starts beautifully with the pull start but at the moment the only way to shut it off is by chocking it out
    Last edited by Matt.wise; 02-19-2024, 08:59 PM.

The RED button where the man overboard lanyard clips on the engine is a shut off switch...press it to shut engine off.

As for the key...i don't know. You will have to supply the model number on the engine for others to help you out..

Comment

It has no buttons on the motor

Comment

What is the complete identification of the motor? Begins with the number 6.

Comment

Are you 100% positive you don't have a kill switch? That's been a normal thing for quite some time, now. Can you post a few pics of the engine - maybe each side and the tiller handle?

Is the model number (NWC) you wrote correct? I ask because I tried looking up your model in the Yamaha link above, but that model wasn't listed.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Comment

Comment

How crafty of a fellow are you?

Instead of a key start would you settle for a push button start?

The seven pin harness will be removed. You are going to need to add a button that will energize the starter motor and a stop switch to stop the motor from running.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                  Are you 100% positive you don't have a kill switch? That's been a normal thing for quite some time, now. Can you post a few pics of the engine - maybe each side and the tiller handle?

Is the model number (NWC) you wrote correct? I ask because I tried looking up your model in the Yamaha link above, but that model wasn't listed.
                  Kill switch would be up at the dash. That connects with the seven pin harness that is shown in one of the photos.

Believe the OP is in Australia or New Zealand. Not a model offered in the US by Yamaha USA.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Cheers for the help, I managed to get a key start from a 704 control box, it fitted in to the hole on the motor it was a plug and play from there, I even have the blue wire auto choke hooked up so when the key is pressed in the choke comes on too.
                        It is an Australian model

Comment

Ah, thanks for the pictures and explanation, Matt. Makes sense, now. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to plumb in a kill switch - which is a good idea to have (with the lanyard) - especially when doing tiller steer.

Comment

Oh, Boscoe probably knows this right off the top of his head... but the kill switch circuits I've worked with (granted, not Yamaha) simply work by grounding the kill switch wire. Pretty easy. But double check that the Yamaha works the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                              Oh, Boscoe probably knows this right off the top of his head... but the kill switch circuits I've worked with (granted, not Yamaha) simply work by grounding the kill switch wire. Pretty easy. But double check that the Yamaha works the same way.
                              I am hesitant to say that every Yamaha outboard motor works the same way (been fooled too many times) but I would suspect that 99.99999% of them are grounded by the kill switch to make them stop running.

Comment

Working...
                              X