Jets in drain plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets in drain plugs

Hello everyone, I have a quick question. 1 1/2 years I had acquired a 1992 Yamaha 40 MSHQ. I replaced everything in all three carburetors. I started from the bodies and installed everything oem new. Except for the drain plugs. I don’t have a clue why but I guess they looked good at the time.

The outboard has ran great all this time and I have stayed on top of maintenance and inspecting things.
    I wanted to flush the carburetors out because I neglected to start it in a few weeks. Even though I use only none ethanol fuel and still treat it.
    The first drain plug the head just fell off when I touched it. Luckily I only tightened them snug and was able to get a grip with a small screw driver and it unscrewed no problem.

There is a hole that goes through the side of each drain plug and on from the end that connects with that one. I’m assuming these are jets. It had snapped where the jet going through was. I inspected the other two and one is just starting to crack while the other plug the jet going through looks deformed on one side of the plug. I’m replacing all three..

But just curious are these indeed jets and how do they tie in with the carburetor function? They are brass and the carburetors bowls are aluminum. Looks like corrosion is what’s going on. But for me not replacing them they’ve lasted a long time.

I have had a little trouble with it wanting to idle in gear. After about 5 minutes I noticed it smoking and see evidence of un burnt fuel . One I’m out of the cove it’ll jump up on plane and clear right up. It usually only smokes a little when I first start it and clears up quickly. After idling back in its smoking again by the time I get to the ramp but I can’t open it up and clear it out then. That’s when I’ll notice the black stuff coming out of the prop the next day.

I’m fixing to check my link and sync and idle settings. Then take it to the water to adjust the air fuel mixture because I’m thinking it’s running to rich at idle.
    I appreciate any input on those plugs and if they may have anything to do with the mixture. I don’t see how but I’m no technician and don’t play one on TV.
    Thanks again.

Is this what you are looking at?
    Attached Files

Comment

That is just a drain plug. It has holes so you only have to to loosen it a few turns for the fuel in the bowl to drain out. If it had no holes you would have to remove it completely to drain the fuel. And being at the bottom of the bowl dirt and crud get stuck in the hollow section and it corrodes over time and breaks off when you try to loosen it....It is not a jet.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        That is just a drain plug. It has holes so you only have to to loosen it a few turns for the fuel in the bowl to drain out. If it had no holes you would have to remove it completely to drain the fuel. And being at the bottom of the bowl dirt and crud get stuck in the hollow section and it corrodes over time and breaks off when you try to loosen it....It is not a jet.
        Ah. Now it makes since. I thank you for sir for putting me back on the tracks.

Comment

Working...
        X