Broken choke linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken choke linkage

The manual choke does not work on my Yamaha 60 Hp from 1989 6H2S100508. The outside handle on the front port side is ok. It appears that something is broken in the linkage to the shaft under the engine that transfers the movement to the carborator valves on the starboard side of the engine .

Is this a typical fault? What part can I expect to be broken?

It is difficult to see, and reach, in this area as the bottom part of the outer closure is in the way. How do I proceed in order to remove what is necessary in order to reach the broken items?

First, it's 35 years old... EVERYTHING that breaks is "typical" at this point!

It's probably a cable that connects the handle to the linkage? First make sure either end hasn't popped off. Next would be to replace the cable. It's hard to say exactly what to do without having the engine in front of me - but if you're handy, you can likely figure out the process by close inspection. You may be able to use the old one to pull the new one through?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

this site does not even list a 60 for 1989
      are you sure that is what you have.
      here is a parts breakdown of a 55 hp 2 cylinder that might be close, but I have no idea what you have.
      Yamaha Outboard 1989 OEM Parts Diagram for Intake - Carburetor | Boats.net

#14, 15, & 16 show to be choke parts.

here is a 91 60hp
      15,16, & 17 are choke related.
      Yamaha Outboard 1991 OEM Parts Diagram for INTAKE | Boats.net
      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-07-2024, 10:23 AM.

Comment

In many Yams with a pull to choke knob the knob goes through a port in the lower cowling. It then attaches to a linkage that runs to the carburetors. At times there is an O ring that holds the linkages together. If that O rings comes off then the pull to choke knob can't do its magic.

Remove the intake silencer on the carburetors. You then should be able to see the linkage mechanism.

Something like this.

Comment

Thanks boscoe99 ,
          This looks like my engine !
          Thanks for your advice. This will be of great help. Now I know what to do when the snow goes away!

Comment

Working...
          X