1992 ProV 200 fuel check valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 ProV 200 fuel check valve

This motor has a fuel line check valve that I have heard causes issues. I have tried to start it (got it last fall). Should I just remove it? My older motors don't have it and all I can see that it might be good for is not allowing fuel to drain down to make it start quicker next time. Other than that it could fail and cause restriction to flow.......

where is this check valve located?
    if it is not on the motor then it is not part of the motor

Comment

Are you talking about an anti-siphon valve at the tank?

Are you having issues? It's not clear from what you wrote.

If you're having issues starting the engine - don't start replacing things just because you read about them online. There are many reasons why an engine may not start - investigate - don't just replace willy-nilly.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Between fuel filter and pump. 6R5-24408-00-00
        Only used on ProV motors in 1992.....why are they any different?
        Last edited by BQUICK; 01-30-2024, 09:47 AM.

Comment

So this is kinda funny... I googled that part number and a thread, from this site, came up first! From 2012 and guess who started the thread...

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...-feed-assembly

From THAT thread, it looks like it's not necessary. You could just remove it for a while and use a barb to barb connector - see how that goes.

Comment

Not used on ProV150 but is on 200 and 250.
            Yeah...10+ years and I'm still wondering......
            Last edited by BQUICK; 01-30-2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I'm only guessing that it has something to do with the type of carbs - but that really is just a guess. I guess (again) you could remove it and see how things go - could always put it back.

Comment

Carbs are same type. I think I'll ditch it. Draining back better than restricting if it's no good. Maybe they were just trying different things....

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                  Maybe they were just trying different things....
                  I was wondering that, too.

I can't I ever recall seeing this on other brands/years, either.

Comment

remove it,
                    and see if you have to pump the primer bulb before starting every time, or just sometimes.

Comment

Yeah I bet no need to pump primer with that. A friend had a 150 OMC that he said never needed to prime....maybe it had a check valve. My other Yamahas always need lots of priming after sitting more than a day.....
                      You would think the primer bulb would prevent back flow since basically a one way device.

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                        You would think the primer bulb would prevent back flow since basically a one way device.
                        I don't know if it's a "perfect" seal, but yes, it should... as long as it's oriented in the right direction and facing mostly uphill.

Comment

I think I'll ditch it....one less thing to worry about if fuel issue arises.....

Comment

Thought I'd try starting motor with check valve on there. No go......Took it off and couldn't even blow thru it. Fortunately it comes apart easily so i just took the spring and valve out. Started right up after 4 years....now I think I know why the guy accepted my low ball offer.....

Comment

Working...
                            X