Water pump replacement on 250 ox66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump replacement on 250 ox66

Hey guys. I have a problem with the impeller spacer. When I slide it down all the way over the three washers, it doesn't expand at all, therefore the collar fits loosely over it. The impeller is pushed all the way down, and I pulled on the shaft to get the extra bit of room. All my parts are factory Yamaha. What gives? Thanks in advance for any reply!

install the impellor.
    install 1 flat washer 1 wave washer 1 flat washer.
    slide the plastic collar down. slide the steel collar down.
    pull UP on the drive shaft while knocking the steel collar down with a suitable tool.
    or don't worry about any of it and listen to an annoying knock at idle.

Comment

Thanks for the reply man. I did all that in that sequence, it's just that there is no compression between the collar and spacer.

Comment

post a picture of the shaft area just above the impellor.

its possible that the gearcase or shaft was replaced with an older model.

Yamaha has used the collar set up since 1995 and up on most 2 stroke v4/v6 to stop thrust bearing knock.
        its annoying on some models but wont hurt anything.

Comment

Here's a pic.

Comment

looks like the correct shaft.
            doesn't look like all 3 washers are on the impeller.

Comment

Originally posted by Gvare001 View Post
              Thanks for the reply man. I did all that in that sequence, it's just that there is no compression between the collar and spacer.
              Same problem I have and I have all 3 washers. Will a new collar fix the issue ? Mine is a 94 TXRS, same setup

Comment

Here's another pic with the three washers and the spacer. Notice how there is barely any expansion on the spacer. I can slip the collar in and out by hand easily.

Comment

When you slip the steel collar down around the white plastic(as shown in the above pic), and gently work it down and around the shaft/white/split piece, it doesn't tighten up???

That metal collar should be pulling it in tight.

Pulling the drive shaft up at the same time is what keeps the knocking noise from happening..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It doesn't tighten at all, it slips in and out easily because the spacer is supposed to expand a little and in my case it doesn't. I had the knocking noise when I took it apart. It also had a somewhat modified spacer to lock the collar which was obviously not working.

Comment

Are the parts all new?

Comment

All brand new Yamaha. Even bought another new spacer and collar to see, but to no change. Other than the tapping noise which I'm already familiar with, can any damage occur by not installing the spacer and collar?

Comment

Is the driveshaft supposed to have that taper machined on it right about where the collar goes?....

Comment

the taper is normal.
                            nope , other than annoying the knock wont hurt anything.
                            but something is wrong.
                            did the original fit tight?

Comment

I agree. Something is wrong. Most people bitch about not being able to get the SS collar off.

Comment

Working...
                              X