Yamaha 25 Autolube throttle issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 25 Autolube throttle issue.

Hi guys, I tried out my 25hp autolube today on my Avon SR4, I had already tried it in a tank and it ran fine. First time out in the boat and first run of the outboard, all was going well until the throttle was opened up more than 1/3 to 3/4 when the throttle just died down and I could not get any better than idle speed out of it no matter how much throttle I used, every time I increased the revs after this it seemed to have the opposite effect. Revs would start to increase then die off. The motor didn't stall and would rev high enough to limp back to shore, plenty of oil inthe autolube, breather cap open on the tank, new fuel and no water in the fuel. Strange thing is that I stalled and restarted and then it would run ok unless I passed a certain point with the throttle and then exactly the same problem. My mate who was with me helping out with his superior boat knowledge had a look under the cowling to try and solve the problem. He discovered that a linkage lever was stuck, it would travel smoothly as the throttle was opened but towards the upper end of the throttle range it would cick into place and reducing the throttle would not allow the lever to travel back with the throttle cable, it was slack but the lever was stuck in this position and only a gentle push would release the linkage lever back where it should be and after this the engine ran fine except when the throttle was increased to the point of no return again and the lever would have to be manually snapped out of it's sticking point with this in mind we ran the boat for a while longer while being careful not to pass this rev point and the motor performed absolutely fine, the boat was up on a plane and skimming along nicely. The linkage lever I am talking about seems to be attached to the electrics under the fly wheel, as the throttle is opened it turns the magneto? But this sticking point is a problem my mate and I cannot figure out what exactly is wrong here. Does anyone have any ideas? I really am most greatful for some technical expertise here, it would solve a problem I cannot.

Many thanks

What year motor and country are you in please?

Also, can you snap and post a pic where its binding up?

Unless something is physically broke, I'd think a little lubrication (say spray lithium grease) at all moving points should help. Sounds like its just binding up..

If there's a short control cable (inner and outer), lubing that and making sure it moves smoothly wouldn't hurt either..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      What year motor and country are you in please?

Also, can you snap and post a pic where its binding up?

Unless something is physically broke, I'd think a little lubrication (say spray lithium grease) at all moving points should help. Sounds like its just binding up..

If there's a short control cable (inner and outer), lubing that and making sure it moves smoothly wouldn't hurt either..
      Hi, thanks for reply, I have tried to find out the information you asked TownsendsFJR1300 (nice bikes by the way), I think the Serial Numbers have been painted over so age will have to be based on cowling details mainly, I'm calling it 1990 based on the graphics. Country - UK. I've yet to grab some lithium grease, from what I can tell, the linkages and cables have been lubed with Red Marine grease - maybe too thick and heavy for this job? I took photos and will try to upload them now, the linkage lever I'm talking about which travels forward (right in the pictures) when the throttle is opened and then clicks into place refusing to return is circled red. I have also put arrows indicating direction of travel and a tick (check mark USA) indicating successful operation and a cross indicating where the lever will not move even after the throttle is reduced.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files
      Last edited by Thermoman; 12-20-2015, 07:58 AM. Reason: Reasons

Comment

In the second pic, the linkage at the top, it appears, that adjustable connector may be melted??? Maybe its just the view of the photo.

Although everything may have grease on it, how how is the grease. Grease over time, tends to get sticky and not work as intended.

If nothing is physically broke, it may be just gummed up with old grease..

Wether your spray a de-greaser, of some sort of liquid /spray lubricant to try and break down the grease may work. You may have to dis-assemble and manually clean if bad enough...

The some nice, NEW grease to keep things from sticking.

Should you dis-assemble anything, TAKE NOTES on anything that's adjustable.

Good luck...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X