No announcement yet.

1985 40 2 stroke will not crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I took out one of the spark plugs and plugged it into the ignition wire. I grounded it and tried to start the motor. I did not see any spark. I switched the spark plug to each ignition wire and cranked it, but there was no spark.

@TownsendsFJR1300
    I am seeing your most recent post after the fact of re-trying the spark troubleshooting in the dark. I will check the drain plug tomorrow

@boscoe99
    This motor has a kill switch. I have the red lanyard and the pin in the kill switch holding it out, which is the position to start the motor. This is a tiller handle model.
    I have been questioned about it being the coil or the CDI unit assembly.

@ausnoelm
    I am certain there is no spark now. I do not believe the fuel system would be inhibiting my ability to get a spark so it must be electrical…correct?

Comment

Not likely to be coils or CDI.

Comment

At this point, don't worry about the carbs, its obviously in the ignition somewhere. Get spark first.

You may want to start gently unplugging connections and inspect for any corrosion at the pins/ loose wires, etc. As small as the connectors are, just a little bit of corrosion WILL cause issues. R&Ring(not just looking) ground wires is also paramount.

I would be putting dielectric grease in EVERY CONNECTOR you take apart. It prevents any corrosion from starting.

The main plug, at the ECM, should be GENTLY removed, wires at the harness inspected/make sure their tight and again, look for any green corrosion.

***Loosing spark after just sitting for a period of time indicates a bad (corrosion moved in) connection/ground somewhere...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X